Can quails still lay eggs with complete artificial light?

Johnny829

Chirping
Oct 9, 2018
Hello guys,

I'm wondering if it's possible to have coturnix quails still lay eggs with complete artificial light. So my idea is to raise them in my basement. The only problem is apparently they don't any get natural daylight. But if I provide them proper room temperature, food, water and all LED soft white light for 12 or 14 hours a day, will they still be able to lay eggs like they're raised outside? Thank you!

Hello guys,

I'm wondering if it's possible to have coturnix quails still lay eggs with complete artificial light. So my idea is to raise them in my basement. The only problem is apparently they don't any get natural daylight. But if I provide them proper room temperature, food, water and all LED soft white light for 12 or 14 hours a day, will they still be able to lay eggs like they're raised outside? Thank you!
yes they can still lay with artificial lighting but I would recommend 14-16 hrs per day. it would be nice however if you could move them outside on pretty days to enjoy sunshine!

1. https://zootecnicainternational.com/poultry-facts/understanding-poultry-lighting/
You might find this interesting. It's chicken-based, because it's easier to research chickens, but the information should be universal. It boils down to "you might want to use a red or full-spectrum light bulb, rather than a white one." (And the only reason I know this is because I was researching tomato sprouting.)

2. To a certain extent, all poultry stink. I understand that quail have an ammonia-y funk that might be unpleasant when confined to an area. I don't know how well-ventilated your basement is, but it might be worth looking into.

Get a 4 ft shop light and use 1 warm white and one cool white tube in it to replicate daylight. I do this for indoor birds. They do great and it looks natural.

Back
Top Bottom