Can raccoons 'fly'?

gabby3535

Songster
11 Years
Oct 11, 2008
Hardwick, NW New Jersey
I am wondering if anyone has had experience with raccoons being able to jump across a 3-4 foot airspace?
(Just for clarification.........could a coon climb up my free standing barn (no trees around it either), climb onto the roof,
and leap thru the air onto the flight netting of my run, 3-4 feet away?!?!)
Or...........would they be likely to climb a tree and climb out onto a branch, to leap thru the air onto the
netting, from the other side of the run?

Would they be likely to do that sort of thing, or are they just climbers (up the side of the run itself), vs leapers!?

I read this book by Temple Gardin, (Animals Make Us Human) she claims that raccoons are smarter than dogs, pigs and maybe even whales.... I would not be surprised at there agility.

Raccoons are very smart one time I saw one and it ran into the side yard and my friend through a oreo cookie at it and then we through a baseball in there and it through the Oreo back at us

If by 'fly' you mean from the top of a tree to the ground; then yeah, but they are not very good at it in my opinion
smile.png
Remington, coon, gravity=bad outlook for coon.

im sure they can,t(fly) but as a former coon hunter with years of experience I can tell you that I have had them to jump from trees to the ground at a height of 40 feet or more,raccoons are vicious animals ,its their nature to be mean,pound for pound raccoons are one of the most powerful animals on earth,don,t never under estimate a raccoon,it takes a very smart dog to whip a coon,they seem to be cold blooded ruthless killers when it comes to killing chickens,in the wild their beutiful,and seem tame at times,,

Racoons are scaling up to a second floor porch at the farm I keep my chickens at. If its wood the can climb it . They do climb trees.

Back
Top Bottom