Can Red Sex-links have chicks?

Sex-links are a specific cross of two breeds. Certainly, if kept with a rooster, they will lay fertile eggs (they are a cross between different breeds, not different species, after all). Since the hens are crossbred, the resulting chicks will also be crossbred.

They can hatch their own eggs if they have a rooster but from everything I've heard they aren't given to being very broody. I've had both the GC's and BSL's and none of them seem to want to stay on the eggs. Pretty much just lay and go. If anyone's done it I'd like to know too.

Sex-links are intended to be egg producers, so broodiness is not considered a desirable trait (hens don't lay while brooding). There are several breeds of chicken that broodiness has pretty much been bred out of, but the odd hen may go broody even then.

Then is there a way to make a hen more broody?

Very rarer for a sex link to go broody. You may want to get another breed within your flock to hatch some of those eggs from your sex links. Not sure you go for the fluff in a chicken, but those Silkies are almost always broody. For Large Fowl chickens, you may like the Wyondottes. They go broody pretty often too. My first broody was a Wyondotte. Very pretty. Blue Laced Wyondotte, but it doesn't have to be blue laced. :)

I have to agree with all the above, however the lady I got my first birds from had black sex links and had a couple go broody, but she had 50 or so. I hatched some eggs from some b.s.l, And one of those has gone broody twice though.

I have to agree with all the above, however the lady I got my first birds from had black sex links and had a couple go broody, but she had 50 or so. I hatched some eggs from some b.s.l, And one of those has gone broody twice though.

Well, you actually did some improvement of those gals' broodiness by selecting eggs of the 5 out of 50 which DID go broody. :)

But yeah, RSL and BSL don't pass along the sex-linking coloration for chicks, either. Their "parents" did. :D

I have some sex-lined at one point way back there chicks in my flock, too.

I have a black sex link that went broody, but only once and I did not have a roo at the time so she didn't accomplish much.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom