Can related chickens breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Michaelshady, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Michaelshady

Michaelshady Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2011
    I was just wondering, i hope i don't look stupid! Lol.

2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    yes

3. OldChurchEggery1

OldChurchEggery1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Virginia
    Yes, and it can be used to strengthen specific traits in your flock (line-breeding). What usually isn't done is brother/sister matings. Father/daughter and Mother/Son is how to get started with line-breeding.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Can, will and do. The animal kingdom rarely has prejudices about such things and oft times, it is the preferred order for breeding.

5. CrazyBiddy

CrazyBiddy New Egg

Nov 9, 2011
    I don't think you look stupid at all...cuz I was going to ask the same question. [​IMG]

I have a pair of Golden Phoenix and I hatched one egg so far.
    Looks like shes going to be a hen and I was really hoping to add her in with mom and dad when shes bigger.
    So thanks for asking your question!!!
    Many people will appreciate it...trust me!

I found SO many answers to questions on this site before I became a member.
    This forum is invaluable! And so are all the question askers! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought it was illegal for chicken cousins to marry? Maybe it's only in certain states![​IMG]

7. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I've wondered, too!

I hatched some BCM's and wondered about breeding them. I know they are the offspring of one batch of hatching eggs, so they're probably very much brothers and sisters. Is that not good to hatch eggs from them? My plan is to get some more from a different source in the spring and keep my favorites, but should I make sure I'm not hatching from the siblings?

Thanks!

8. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
  9. cackleberrycoop

cackleberrycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2010
    Montana
    Quote:Brother/Sister breedings can really doom your breeding lines. When breeders are desperate to hang onto a trait that showed up in a batch of chicks, one that's rare and not going to be found from another source, then they will try breeding full siblings to replicate and hang onto the trait, but often the first generations of these birds are full of weak babies and genetic faults and the goal is always to get that first desired trait bred out and into a different, unrelated line of birds as soon as possible. It's a pretty rare circumstance that would favor brother/sister pairings. Go for a good, healthy start on your breeding program - you will thank yourself later on!!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  10. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Thank you for the advice. I really appreciate it! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by