can roos have hemrhoids? GRAPHIC PIC

i dont mind the extra work and stuff needed to keep them healthy and to get them over it. I use the pine shreded bedding from TSC here and change it out about every 8 weeks or so. like i say, my girls/boys are spoiled. I will do anything to help my 'big guy'.

I change my shavings out every 2 weeks, but I may have more birds in my coops than you do.

You can get the poultry dust and the premise spray at TSC. I got the premise spray in a gallon jug...ended up being much more cost effective! I actually did the whole procedure without the premise spray, and they mites came back each time, so I went the "extra" with the premise spray and it got rid of them for good.

Quote:
I haven't seen the premise spray at our TSC, I will have to look again..... is it cheaper than the adams flea and tick spray???

I don't recall what it is, but there's something in Adams that's reportedly toxic to chickens. I would guess the stuff I found was less expensive because it wasn't a well-known brand, but it most definitely killed eggs, larval stage, and adults. It was a red container, and it came in a 16 ounce spray bottle in addition to the gallon jug. They may not have it this time of year...?

update: i went home last night and put him in a nice warm tub. he was not looking all that great either. He is getting weaker seemed to like the warm bath. I had flea, tick, and mite wash left from my dog last year and used a minimal amount on him under his feathers. I took a good long time with him, going so gently and slow. the water turned a nasty shade of brown of course. he butt wasnt as crusty as looked in the picture. It seems to be looking almost like a prolapsed vent to me. can a roo have that? i took him to the bathroom and used my hair dryer on low heat. picked up sections and dryed and fluffed. You wouldnt believe the amount of little black crawly things the ran up my arms from the tub to the bathroom. I had checked him constantly, and didnt see them. THEN you should see the little critters that i found. They were all dead thank God. little (not really little) off white to yellow to section things. bigger than a flea, smaller than a tick. a dozen or so i found dead in his feathers, another dozen on the counter top. I went ahead and prep. h. his little butt too. trimmed a few feathers around it. No infection present. he pood grass that he had been out eathing earlier. not even digested.

I kept him in until he was totally dry, full of scrambled eggs and yogurt. Appetite is ok. seemed to get more comfortable, but tired. I am sure! wouldnt you be with all the creepy crawlies off you?

I took him back out to the fluffy butt hut. I will not be able to clean and disinfect until Friday unfortunatly. i had a heat lamp for him and he seemed to like that. This morning i went in to check on him and bring him some more scrambled eggs. He is worse. Seems like his butt is gotten a lot larger. His eye has crusties this am and it was hard for him to get that nictating membrane open. I think it may be time to stop his suffering.

Not now, I just lost my cat of 19 years two weeks ago. not before Christmas.......

Oh, I'm so sorry! He has a VERY heavy parasite load! I think you should go ahead & pull out the big guns & get that poultry dust, and dust him GOOD! Parasites can kill them, for sure. He may not last another day unless you get him treated, make sure he's eating and drinking, too. I would put him indoors...he needs to regain his strength, and there are parasites in your coop to be sure, since that's where he was when you removed him.

Please, please, remove him from the coop and dust him with the poultry dust! It will do NO good to put him right back in. If you cannot find the poultry dust, get the seven powder. Also, you need to get him drinking & eating good, nutritious food & lots of it to gain his strength back. If you can, stop by a pet store & pick up some Baby Bird Handfeeding Formula - it's loaded with excellent stuff for birds, and high protein - you mix it with water, and you can sort of squirt some over his food to entice him to eat more. THey love that stuff! If it's only a parasite issue, you should be able to get him through this!

He may have mites and lice. Mites are so tiny that you can barely see them, but lice are about the size you are describing. They are draining him dry if they are as bad as you say. It may indeed be too late for him, but it is not too late for the rest of your flock. You really need to treat this problem aggressively ASAP. Mites in massive loads will kill your birds quickly.

I almost lost mine last winter to the same problem. I used Eprinex on my birds, and the relief was pretty immediate. They had been shaking their heads non-stop, combs were quite pale, and they had stopped laying, but within hours all the head-shaking stopped. The next morning I got an egg for the first time in weeks. It took a while for all the girls to perk back up- some were worse off than others. I hoed out their house and soaked every surface with disinfectant. I kept the birds outside while the house dried. I sprinkled poultry dust heavily through the house and put the barest minimum of shavings in the house after. I repeated the whole procedure 10 days later which is why I went light on the bedding. I didn't have to do it a third time because the problem was resolved after that. Some choose to do a third round with heavy infestations. The only thing I have done differently since then is I used an insecticide rather than a disinfectant when cleaning their coop this fall. (Mine get mites fairly regularly because I have wild ground birds that hang out in my flock.)

I am sorry you have to go through this. I hope your roo makes it. And I'm most sorry about your cat. My best friend just had to put her elderly cat down after a long battle with kidney failure. It's tough to lose a treasured family member around the holidays.
hugs.gif

thanks you guys. My animals are my children..
hmm.png
as I have none. The cat has been devastating to me. I lost my other cat in October. He was 16. They led very spoiled happy lives both of them. Still hard to let them go. I have both of their ashes in my cabinet.

Blu, i think may be beyond help. I am afraid that his butt is getting worse, and he is really hurting. His appetite is good. He is drinking water tons. That is no problem at all. he has lost a lot of weight. I noticed that last night in the tub. What is not clear water in his poo is undigested food and grass. I wonder HOW this happened without me noticeing???????? I am on top of my flock daily!!!! I spend at least 2 hours a day with them.

I will be ok with the rest of the flock i think. I checked them over inch by inch and i cant find one bug on the other 10. I will be on top of the butt hutt today when I get off of work. I will move them into my garage while i do the shed.
sad.png

Just wanted to send my Sympathy to you also, My chickens also had a mite attack a few months back, I felt terrible when I realized how bad it was, even though I am always checking them I really didn't know what I was looking for. Mites are so tiny, they had to get on me before I saw them and then I saw them on my birds, It was alot of work to get the coop cleaned out and treated and then doing all the birds also and then turning around and doing it again in 10 days, and it was warmer also. I used Ivermectin pour on, but theres egg withdawl with it. I think with the epernix there is no egg withdrawl. Wishing you the best and hoping your roo pulls through
hugs.gif

I'm so very sorry you're going through this. It's a terrible time of year to deal with it! But, PLEASE PLEASE make sure to treat ANY other chickens that were in the pen with your roo. If they were in the same pen, THEY HAVE MITES ALSO. It's not possible for only one to have them.

Don't give up on your boy! Once he is parasite free, he will likely be feeling much, much better!

Back
Top Bottom