1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can Roosters be saddle featherless?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by edford, Oct 19, 2012.

1. I have a rooster? BR btw its head says rooster but its feathering says hen. no pointy saddle what so ever.

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    some breeds such as the sebright are hen feathered but the breed you are talking about will always have saddle feathers.

how old is it? if it is 20+ weeks and has no saddle feathers then i would say its a pullet

3. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    There are a few breeds that are "hen feathered" such as Sebrights, where the males have no hackle, saddle, or sickle feathers.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Pics of the bird? The whole bird, not just a head shot. Oh and age.

5. 6 months and its either a black sexlink roo or BR roo maybe domonique or brahma mix idk but it had long sicklke feathers on its tail a fairly good sized come and wattles but absolutely no saddlefeathers just fluff like a hen. its barred but not super light like my for sure pure BR roo all the rest that were roos have the long string saddles. ill post pics when i can.

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    sounds like a pullet but without pics we really can't help that much

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by