can Roosters smell fear????

newchick13

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 26, 2011
Somers NY
Ok, so I have 2 7 month old roosters. One an EE, the other a NH who is a GIANT bird. The past few days the NH has been raising his hackle feathers at me and jumping at me when i am near them. So today i go in to collect the eggs and while trying to avoid Dylan the NH, Beast the EE attacked me! I thought he was the nice one of the two (despite his name). Maybe he figured he could pick on me because I was afraid of the other one? I really don't want to get rid of them because they do a great job of watching over the hens. I wonder if I walked in like I am the boss would they leave me alone?

I remember from high school biology being taught that birds have know sense of smell. This is why hawks and owls can kill and eat skunks and other types of animals. I hope this is true also for buzzards and vultures or I will really feel sorry for them.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_birds_smell

idunno.gif

all animals can smell fear but I think what you are going through is the fact that spring is aproaching. all creatures have a mating season. even though they mate all the time there is a small period where it is stronger. during this time the male will be alot more agresive. I see it in my birds already .and have noticed it in my parrots as well. it will pass....GL

They don't need a sense of smell to know fear. Your body language tells them, even if you don't realize you are doing it.

They don't need a sense of smell to know fear. Your body language tells them, even if you don't realize you are doing it.

Body language it is! You are bigger do not allow them to intimidate you. If they continue to come at you, snag them with a fishing net and force them to the ground. Hold them there until they stop struggling. Repeat the process as needed. If they do not rehabilitate, start looking up recipes for coq au vin. Remember at all times - YOU ARE BIGGER THAN THEM!

After good advice on here about this problem, I can say it works - my mean rooster had a crack at me last night as I was getting out of the car - I gave him a small kick with my boot and belted him with my handbag whilst yelling profanities at him (not necessary for effect but made me feel better!) and then ran at him and chased him away - he has been rather respectful since. I will no doubt have to repeat this for a while but it's working - and better than him ending up as someone's dinner because he is too scary to have around.

Back
Top Bottom