Can scaly leg mites be confused for Bumblefoot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by HollyDuckFarmer, Oct 21, 2012.

1. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

This is just from my experience:

Scaly leg mites lift the scales of the feet. Bumblefoot = black scab looking thing on underside of foot and it can swell.

Which condition are you trying to treat?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  3. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Been treating as if Bumblefoot, but after reading that link, I started wondering if I was treating the wrong thing. I do see the black scab, but I also think I'm seeing some lifting scales.... So no black scabs with mites?

4. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

It's also possible they have both bumblefoot and scale mites - unfortunately it doesn't have to be one or the other. The two can co-exist.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

x2- If you have lifting scales I'd definitely dip each leg in mineral oil or veg oil every day for 2 weeks to smother the mites. Also it is helpful to smear oil on the comb and wattles as scaly leg mites can attack the face too.

For bumblefoot I personally don't treat it unless there is swelling or the chicken is limping, etc. I have never had to do the bumblefoot surgery. So I am not the one to ask about that, sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by