Can small, flighty breeds avoid birds of prey?

I actually like flighty nervous chickens. More fun to watch. Don't know what type of property we'll wind up on, but hopefully neighbors won't mind if chickens range on their property.

If behavior is of particular interest, then consider either American Games or "Red Jungle Fowl". The latter are seldom truely wild but still exhibit a broad range of chicken behaviors and with respect to predator avoidance behavior are difficult to beat. My preference is with the former since they have been selected to survive under the predator assemblage I have. Both can give you over a hundred eggs per hen per year if you can keep them from setting.

If behavior is of particular interest, then consider either American Games or "Red Jungle Fowl". The latter are seldom truely wild but still exhibit a broad range of chicken behaviors and with respect to predator avoidance behavior are difficult to beat. My preference is with the former since they have been selected to survive under the predator assemblage I have. Both can give you over a hundred eggs per hen per year if you can keep them from setting.

My idea is to have a flock of Hamburg hens for better laying and get an American Game rooster if I can. I do worry that a game roo would be more likely to be aggressive toward humans, but I might just have to try a few out till I find the right one.

Most games are less people aggressive than typical hatchery stocks or ornamental / production breeds. Mine do not cause any problems unless I frighten their hens with chicks. Otherwise I trust them enough to allow close proximity with my kids so long as bird does not try to fly up on you to perch like some of mine do. Claws are sharp even when not on bird with attitude. Trim spurs peridically if you expect to handle bird much.

Thanks for the tips. Not sure where I'm going to get a bunch of golden-spangled and golden-penciled Hamburg hens (don't want white plumage if I can avoid it) plus an American Game rooster, but I've got a year or so to figure it out.

Multiple parties in your state have American Games. They need not be of "quality" working stock to do your job; even a hatchery sourced line would work. Such might be listed under English Game but effectively the same. Suppliers of both might be registered with your states poultry registry put out by your land grant university or state department of agriculture. That is how I found more reputable owners of gamefowl in my state.

... I ...worry that a game roo would be more likely to be aggressive toward humans, but I might just have to try a few out till I find the right one...
If the truth be known American Games have gone through a long process of selection designed to weed out those roosters who are aggressive towards humans. It is humans' actions or reactions towards the rooster that is to blame for human aggressive roosters regardless of the breed.

Had a lame duck which had the misfortune of laying out away from the larger critters today. Became feed for eagles. was only partly able to chase them off.

Back
Top Bottom