Can small, flighty breeds avoid birds of prey?

UrbanEnthusiast

Songster
7 Years
Jul 12, 2012
Port Orford, Oregon
When I get chickens again next year, they will have a very sturdy coop, so my primary concern is daytime predators, mostly chicken hawks in our area. I don't know yet if we will be able to have a rooster. The flock will spend most daylight hours free-ranging unsupervised. I know the common wisdom for prevention of losses to hawks is to get large breeds. But I actually keep chickens primarily for laying and money for feed is tight, so I'm interested in lightweight layers like Hamburgs (hens ~ 4 lbs), and I'd even like to get a pair of Egyptian Fayoumis to act as "watchdogs" (hens ~ 3.5 lbs). I prefer "wilder" personalities in chickens and my thinking is that if provided with adequate cover these two breeds will be wary and fast enough to stay safe. I'm OK with occasional losses but the fewer the better. If I do have hawk problems I plan to take all the standard measures such as hanging shiny moving things in the yard, scarecrows, etc. But am I crazy to think that any 3.5 lb chicken won't be terribly vulnerable to hawks and eagles? The only predators I've dealt with before were raccoons and our own dogs. That was in the city. I think where we are moving next year (Whidbey Island, WA, for those who are curious) has a lot more birds of prey.

Updates:

Regarding getting goats, turkeys, donkeys, etc. to fend off predators: Not possible for me.

Regarding getting gamefowl: They don't lay enough for my purposes.

Last edited:
When I get chickens again next year, they will have a very sturdy coop, so my primary concern is daytime predators, mostly chicken hawks in our area. I don't know yet if we will be able to have a rooster. The flock will spend most daylight hours free-ranging unsupervised. I know the common wisdom for prevention of losses to hawks is to get large breeds. But I actually keep chickens primarily for laying and money for feed is tight, so I'm interested in lightweight layers like Hamburgs (hens ~ 4 lbs), and I'd even like to get a pair of Egyptian Fayoumis to act as "watchdogs" (hens ~ 3.5 lbs). I prefer "wilder" personalities in chickens and my thinking is that if provided with adequate cover these two breeds will be wary and fast enough to stay safe. I'm OK with occasional losses but the fewer the better. If I do have hawk problems I plan to take all the standard measures such as hanging shiny moving things in the yard, scarecrows, etc. But am I crazy to think that any 3.5 lb chicken won't be terribly vulnerable to hawks? The only predators I've dealt with before were raccoons and our own dogs. That was in the city. I think where we are moving next year (Whidbey Island, WA, for those who are curious) has a lot more hawks.
We, I'm having better luck this year with full grown turkeys in the pasture with my chickens as well as the goats. Last year I lost some to eagles (something Whidbey Island also has an abundance of). I'm just north of there in Blaine Wa.

Yes, I love gamefowl but they don't lay enough. From everything I've read, Hamburgs seem to be the best combination of survival instincts and laying capacity. I would consider getting a game hen or two to serve as "watchdogs" but I figured the Fayoumis can serve a similar purpose and lay a bit more, plus I like how they look all freaky like roadrunners.

Yes, that is what I'm reading in other threads. I just watched this Youtube video and it's pretty intense. It was shot right here in Western Washington. I don't even have chickens yet and I'm already paranoid.
sad.png
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWHFHPGgq7o

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom