Can some breeds lay twice a day??

shannon84

Crowing
7 Years
Jun 1, 2016
Indiana
I swear I think I just got two little eggs from this recently purchased small mixed silkie hen. That guy told me she'll lay twice a day sometimes. I thought he was crazy of course.

I got her two weeks ago and she finally laid for me. I actually got 3 hens 2 weeks ago at the same time. So maybe one of the 3 hens just happened to lay today too?

It's not by breed but more by individuals. A hen is supposed to release one yolk at a time to start the internal egg-making process. If a hen releases two yolks at the same time you are likely to get a double yolked egg. If she releases two yolks the same day but separated a bit in time you can get two separate eggs in one day. I consider it a glitch but some people are proud to get a double yolked egg. Most people don't notice when a hen lays two in a day.

A hen typically makes a limited amount of shell material in a day so the second egg that day might have very thin shell or be shell-less. If both those eggs were normal there is a reasonable chance a second hen laid one of those eggs. If she lays two in one day they are both in the shell gland at the same time and can have scars or marks on them. Not always but sometimes. Sometimes but not always if a hen lays two eggs in one day or a double yolked egg she skips the next day.

Back
Top Bottom