1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can some chickens grow faster than others

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by omartorres, Nov 30, 2011.

1. omartorres

omartorres Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2011
    Hi i got 6 bb bantams chicks that i bought a 2 months ago when i got them they were all the same size but now 5 of them are bigger than a nother on and she just died this mornin:hit
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    You betcha they can grow at different rates. It's the same with any baby animal.

However, you do need to keep an eye out for extreme differences in growth rate within the same breed. If one in particular is left in the dust by the others, it most likely has a genetic or developmental problem, which often turns fatal.

I'm sorry for your loss.

3. adillenal

adillenal Out Of The Brooder

Nov 22, 2011
    Ledbetter, TX
    I haven't raised baby chicks in many years but my 32 three week old chicks are various sizes although the different breeds are similar in size. The black sex links are the smallest. I have never had them before so I found that interesting.

LL-Texas

4. many diffrent chicks mature at difrent rates for say the rocks mature alot faster than other chickens and the cornish and the brahmas are some of the slowest to anser your quistien yes

5. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Oh, they do. They're like people I suppose in a way. One of mine, always the small and fiery one, had a sudden growth spurt and shot up into a very big, very fat hen, overtaking all the others.
    Although I agree with Pele, if one is lagging behind it will probably get picked on by the others.

6. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Sorry you lost the little chicken. It probably had some condition which meant that it wasn't ever going to make adult life.

As to the question about growth rates, there's a lot of individual variation. It is not always the one(s) who have an early growth spurt who end up to be the biggest birds. Some are 'late bloomers'.

Brahmas take up to two years to achieve their maximum size.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  7. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Quote:x2 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by