Can someone explain about marek's vaccine?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bossom-hen, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Bossom-hen

Bossom-hen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2013
    England, UK
    My first two chickens died of mareks disease. After the first one died we got a friend for her who we still have (who was mareks vaccinated). It was only when the second of the original chickens died that we knew we were definately dealing with marek's disease. I bought two more mareks vaccinated birds to keep the remaining one company. Some months on all seems fine but the other day I read that the marek's vaccine doesn't stop them getting mareks it only stops the tumours developing,is this true? Are my vaccinated hens in danger of becoming sick as a result of the mareks they have undoubtedly been exposed to?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    1 person likes this.
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The Marek's vaccine protects the chicken that it is given to-- it prevents the development of tumors. However, a vaccinated chicken can still get the disease and carry it (but won't show symptoms, and usually won't be harmed by it itself). Its likely that since your birds are vaccinated, they will not become sick because of Marek's, but it is still possible. About 5-10% of vaccinated birds will still get the disease.

1 person likes this.
  4. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by