Can someone explain "Chicken Math" to me?

let's see 6 in one coop and 6 in another coop.
Wait......I want a few roos to hatch some eggs... OK
Now I have 3 roosters.... I think I can fit in one more hen each coop...
Then I had to hatch out a buddy for the peachick that I was hatching. Could not let her grow up alone........

caf.gif

I'm not very experienced so I was hoping that someone could confirm my calculation..... I'm sure that chicken math extends to ducks too.

I can't work out whether my duck is a female or a drake yet, so as I cannot be 'certain' of its sex, the duck clearly can't count... and because I started with a duck I thought was a drake and now I'm not sure...... that should equal -1.

This adds another level to the equation. I'll now need to purchase more ducks because if I'm not confident whether it is a 'he' or a 'she'... then I have the excuse that I 'need' more ducks to compare. That means the extra ducks won't count either..... right?

Nitrous is very helpful in checking your chicken math equations!
old.gif
(see the way he explains things in depth!)
gig.gif

"YES! And chicken math says you only have one peahen so you need to buy MORE. "MORE" may be peacocks OR peahens.

Let's do the proof:

1 peahen is NOT the same as ANY peacocks therefore peacocks MAY BE assumed to be ZERO (even if they are standing RIGHT NEXT TO THE PEAHEN, IN THE PICTURE (known to non-chicken-math people as "evidence")!)

ZERO Peacocks is NOT ENOUGH peacocks THEREFORE more must be purchased.

IF the number of birds in ONE enclosure is EQUAL TO OR LESS THAN ZERO, MORE birds must be purchased to fill the vacuum that the barnyard abhors.

The birds can be any species. Even ducks count, in chicken math. They count as 0.05 chickens, in the summer and count as NO chickens in the winter or during a buying frenzy, on an auction site. THEREFORE 20 ducks may EQUAL as much as one chicken... depending.

One hen and one rooster may be counted as high as "two" chickens btu since only one is a "layer", you *really* only have one chicken. Any offspring they have do not count. Those are chicks or babies and are never part of the math. You only bought two. They rest "just happened".

You may have as many as five full size coops that make a lot of noise, that contain only one actual chicken... technically.:YES! And chicken math says you only have one peahen so you need to buy MORE. "MORE" may be peacocks OR peahens.

Let's do the proof:

1 peahen is NOT the same as ANY peacocks therefore peacocks MAY BE assumed to be ZERO (even if they are standing RIGHT NEXT TO THE PEAHEN, IN THE PICTURE (known to non-chicken-math people as "evidence")!)

ZERO Peacocks is NOT ENOUGH peacocks THEREFORE more must be purchased.

IF the number of birds in ONE enclosure is EQUAL TO OR LESS THAN ZERO, MORE birds must be purchased to fill the vacuum that the barnyard abhors.

The birds can be any species. Even ducks count, in chicken math. They count as 0.05 chickens, in the summer and count as NO chickens in the winter or during a buying frenzy, on an auction site. THEREFORE 20 ducks may EQUAL as much as one chicken... depending.

One hen and one rooster may be counted as high as "two" chickens btu since only one is a "layer", you *really* only have one chicken. Any offspring they have do not count. Those are chicks or babies and are never part of the math. You only bought two. They rest "just happened".

You may have as many as five full size coops that make a lot of noise, that contain only one actual chicken... technically. "

Last edited:
Quote:
Your initial equation is exactly correct. You have -1 duck. But when you entered the second layer of the equation, you forgot to carry the one. In Chicken Math, you can divide by zero and a negative times a negative is still a negative.... as in DxU/H Shortened to DUH. Ducks times unborn chicks, divided by hens.

If you do not know if it is a male or female, then yes, that duck does not exist. It has no existential presence in your barnyard and must be counted as such. A non-entity. Zero. You will divide by the unknown ducks, to get your real duck-number. 4 ducks divided by the unknown ducks (zero) equals E which all Chicken Calculator owners know stands for "egg" (see page 1 of the instructions that came with your Chicken Calculator with included Tax Table and 1099 form). Meaning you must purchase more to bring your total to a positive number.

I didn't read all the posts and I'm new to chicken math too but chicken math in my head is
2 regular bantams = 1 standard size chicken!
4 bantams like really small like japanese bantams = 1 standard size chicken!

I think I have it down
So if I wanted to get 4 chickens and I only wanted 2 standard size chickens then I could get 4 bantams, but if more then 1 is a rooster to replace him i need 2 more bantams. And If I think their too cold at night and I don't want to add heat and theres room in the coop then I'll need another standard size chickens and 2 more bantams since I love bantams. And if we get a rooster theres no way to stop them from breeding and if I raise them I could NEVER part with them.....
gig.gif
gig.gif

Heres my real life chicken math

So we wanted like 10 chickens but ordered them from mcmurray and HAD to get 25, but we couldn't have just 2 brahamas or 2 cochins so we ended up with like 30. Then our feed co store had the cutest chicks and we ordered some sebrights from them. When the chickens got older and lived outside we were selling them so they no longer were ours (even though they still lived with us) and the feed store had some Rhode islands and they were bantams and soooooooo cute so we HAD to have live 10 of those and they had some cute quail looking ones (japanese bantams) so we had to get those 2. So our 10 chickens became like 40 or 50 somewhere around that number
gig.gif

Last edited:
So I pulled up this thread this morning while I was drinking coffee to see how all the calculations were coming along...and laughed so hard I choked on hot coffee!

Safety note: Don't drink coffee while reading this thread.

gig.gif
caf.gif

I've done some recalculations and remembered that of the bunch of ten chickens I got after my original six (two of those were roos, making them only four), two of the ten, even though they were hens, were free "roo replacers", making that bunch actually only eight - so I only had twelve before I got the five Sultans, which were straight run and two of them are roos, so only THREE. So really only 15 - AND they are Bantams, so they all only count as 1/2 a chicken, so now I am down to 7 1/2 chickens..now I may need some help "rounding" that number down to find out how many chickens i actually have. My silly husband thinks I have 21.

And there's still that empty coop. So first I need to figure out how many I don't have in order to fill up that coop and make it look like we didn't get more chickens. Or convince my husband it had chickens in it all along and they were just 'inside'.

So I know that chicks aren't chickens since they don't lay but roosters? So I have like 5 roosters (pretty much all of them with problems, frostbite ,flighty ,fighting with the other game rooster, we just got them) But since their roosters I only have 9 chickens not 14?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom