Can someone help identify??

In other words acting normal lol
Do you actually have roosts? my Muscovy love to roost.
Where is she going to go with tiny little ones with no protection? Of course she'd also need protection if inside. Many ducks and chickens do not like ducklings and will kill or injure them. Even dad. Sorry not trying to cause trouble just hoping she can protect her little ones they are going to be so vunerable.
Do you think someone saw your poultry and figured this would be a good place to dump 3 Muscovy?

I honestly think they were dumped. I have a huge barn/shed that's actually 2 building combined for the birds and we do have a divider in-between. I'll be watching daily to see how things go. If I had an incubator I would bring the eggs in but we don't have any. I used to incubate chicks and had incubated a few Pekin duck eggs a couple years back. I don't think these muscovy were feral, they act like they were already used to someone caring for them.

Oh and I know, lol, we had that issue with chickens when we would miss an egg here or there, had to go catch the chicks before the other chickens pecked it. I have heat lamps and all that, I raised my other ducks from ducklings, so I'm hoping if they do hatch that I'll be able to see them when it's happening. Momma doesn't mind me checking on her or the eggs.

Sure sounds like they aren't feral.
Please keep us updated.
Most of my Muscovy have been wonderful mamas and take really good care of their ducklings. They will defend them from the rest of the flock but cannot protect them from predators. If you had a way to put mama and chicks inside until they were around 3 weeks old with fencing they will have a much better chance of surviving. It sounds like they have probably never been closed up overnight. Boy do I remember those days when I brought home females for my Muscovy drake and the girls had never been kept up I finally put up fencing so I could corner them of an evening and herd them inside. We're covered up with predators.
Oh for sure. We planned on putting up fencing, the whole property has been a lot of work. We just bought the house in February. But the next step for the coop is putting a big fenced area, our main issue has been hawks. Right now all of our birds free range and go to bed by themselves and we shut the doors once they are all in. The muscovys like to be with the other birds when they all hang out on the back porch so maybe that will help get them inside at night once the fence is in.

Here she is

Attachments

• 20220516_070418.jpg
    20220516_070418.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Oh Sorry, I now see you are already talking to Miss Lydia about this, Ashbash4710.

With feral muscovy, you can only do your best. I hope you are able to persuade them to become yours! You will need to help Mama protect her ducklings.
You jump in and share all you want @ruthhope

Back
Top Bottom