Can someone help me pick a breed

Alright here is a list in order of what I am mostly leaning to get

1. Muscovys a lot of people seem to like them and they are good duel purpose birds even though they arnt even somewhat rare this is the breed I am mostly wanting. The only down side is these have really sharp claws.

2. Saxony they have really pretty coloring and they are on the threatened list so it would be nice to help them out.

3. Welsh harlequin though I like these last two about the same and they both offer about the same needs I am looking for.

4. Magpies they also have pretty coloring and a few of you here of the thread seems to like them. Though dotknott said they are smaller so would that mean they arnt going to be good for meat if I had to cull any extra drakes?

5. And last the Dutch hookbill I would be interested in these also but being they are on the critical section of the list on that website dotknott gave i doubt I would be able to find any and being they are going to be more rare that means they are going to be more expensive to buy.

What a great list!

When I was looking for Saxonies I went online and did a lot of digging.. ended up finding a guy in CT that breeds and shows.. got some lovely birds from him.

I think the livestock conservancy site has a breeder search.. I don't think that's how I got my CT guy, at least not directly. It may be another good jumping off point (especially if you wanted to look for those hookbills!)

Also if you're on FB check for a local or regional poultry group. I managed to sell a pair this fall to a guy who HAD Saxonies but sold them all to his buddy when he fell in love with calls (he later missed the Saxonies and was excited to find some that weren't from his buddy.) 2 years of breeding and I'm finally making Saxony connections locally!!

I feel like PA should have some good availability.. but it's also 1:30am so I also might just not have a clue! :)

How about anconas?
Lay 280+ eggs a year, eggs can be cream, green or grey. Fairly calm, medium weight so extra drakes make great meat ducks.
Fantastic foragers too!
Plus they come in SO many pretty colors and no two look the same. Here are some of mine:

Silver

Lilac

Lavender

Chocolate

Blue

Black

How about anconas?
Lay 280+ eggs a year, eggs can be cream, green or grey. Fairly calm, medium weight so extra drakes make great meat ducks.
Fantastic foragers too!
Plus they come in SO many pretty colors and no two look the same. Here are some of mine:

Silver

Lilac

Lavender

Chocolate

Blue

Black
That's a good one too. My Anconas are great. Just this morning as my ducks performed their ritual of walking out of the coop in single file, someone was missing. One of the ducks gave a commanding QUACK and my lilac ancona hen rushed out in a hurry to get in line. LOL.

Ok everyone sorry I havnt been on but I have decided to go with Muscovy I was planning to go get a pair tommarrow so I had told the lady that was selling them I was interested the day she let me know she had some forsale. So she then comments back two days later and says she sold them all and now I havnt been able to find anyone with them that isn't 2 -3 hours away that actually has some nice looking birds.

Back
Top Bottom