can someone help me sex my wyandottes

not true on wyandottes as it has been proven several times on here that wyandotte pullets get red combs and wattles early on nor does their size really matter either.

saddle and hackle feathers do not start to develop till 13 weeks and by 15 weeks you should be able to tell the difference.

watch the wings as these will be your biggest indacators as cockerels will get patches of red coloring on the wings while the pullets will stay nice and laced

Hatchery Wyandottes will develop differently than show quality/breeder Wyandottes.

I understand that saddle feathers do not begin to drape over the sides of the body until 13 weeks, but they will start to develop much earlier. That's how I sexed my hatchery quality Wyandotte cockerels at 10 weeks, though my boys all had huge red combs and wattles at a very young age (4 weeks). The girls had very flat, yellow combs and tiny little yellow wattles at the same age. Maybe I just got lucky!

This is a photo of a 9.5 week Easter Egger cockerel developing true pointed saddle feathers:

x2 on your comment about the wing coloration.

Back
Top Bottom