Can someone help me tell what he is

The confusion between the Welsummer and New Hampshire Red seems rather common. The New Hampshire Red is more of a dark Buffish color, with a black tail, and a little brown or whatever tossed in (depending on the line). The Welsummer is red partridge.
This rooster pictured below is a Welsummer.
23433_chickens_146.jpg

Your boy doesn't appear to have any bit of Welsummer in him. New Hampshire Red seems like a good guess.
http://www.jdmpics.com/new-hampshire-red-chicken-1.htm

Last edited:
He is definitely not a welsummer.

I would call him a production RIR cross, or a NHR cross, chicks out of him the same. He looks simular to my OrpingtonxRIR bird, but he has more black.

Yeah he doesn't look like that Welsummer. The chicks just looked like a Welsummer when some of them were born with the stripes and eyeliner around the eyes. He does look more like a New Hampshire Red. I appreciate all of you guys help. I am in process of finding a Pure RIR Rooster for my girls but I guess I will have to get him some ladies now that are his kind. He is a good rooster.

Your rooster is very pretty. I would muster all my chicken knowlege which would fit nicely on the point of a straight pin, and call him a Western Pistol Packin' Heart Stealer in the color variety of Scandanavian Blonde-Red.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom