Can someone help me with weighing eggs?

Oct 13, 2019
Longmont, CO
Ok so I’m like realllly bad with numbers. Can someone help me figure out if this makes sense? It seems like my eggs aren’t losing near enough weight...
I’m weighing my Marans separately. There are 7 of them. The total weight of them on day 1 was 14.68oz. Today is day 4 and the total weight of them is 14.31oz. I’m kind of stuck there. The goal at the end of hatch, if I’m doing this right is 12.77oz because that’s 13% weight loss. That would be .36oz per day of loss, right? And it seems like they’ve only lost .37 the whole 4 days!! Help! Am I messing something up? I’m only incubating at around 35-40 humidity.

I've never tracked my eggs this way do I can't help you there.

I would like to know if you have a salt tested humidity gauge in your bator?

What incubator are you using?

I have noticed much better air cells with doing a dry hatch start. Teetering at about 20 to 25% humidity. We’re on day 7 or 8 and they’re perfect. Unlike my last two batches that had tiny air cells the entire incubation. BUT... I don’t weigh them. So I won’t chime in on that part.

I've never tracked my eggs this way do I can't help you there.

I would like to know if you have a salt tested humidity gauge in your bator?

What incubator are you using?

Yep, additional humidity gauge that I keep in there is salt calibrated prior to this hatch. I’m using the incuview.

I have noticed much better air cells with doing a dry hatch start. Teetering at about 20 to 25% humidity. We’re on day 7 or 8 and they’re perfect. Unlike my last two batches that had tiny air cells the entire incubation. BUT... I don’t weigh them. So I won’t chime in on that part.

Ah I hope mine will be okay. I’m going to stop adding water to the incubator for now.

Oh gosh now I just did the formula for my non Marans eggs (Ameraucanas and OEs) and they’ve lost too much weight. What do I do?!?!
Here’s my #s for this group.
Day 1 total 14.41oz
Day 4 total 13.92oz
Goal at end 12.53
Goal/ day .089
Goal for day 4: .356
Actual loss: .49

This may be the easier way to see if they’re on track.

06F7D890-3D99-4189-8C85-2BEF3B86D9F3.png

Yeah... the Marans are tough. I don’t even check them until day 14 or so. I have 4 with ?s next to them on my sheet. I think we’re on day 9... not a Maran egg, but a Barbezieux which is darker than some, is attached.

I would try lowering the humidity a bit and check/weigh them in a couple days. And hopefully someone will chime in that does the weighing on chicken eggs.

When I ran the humidity too high in my last batch, at day 18 the air cells looked like day 1. Maybe a tiny bit bigger. Now that we’re averaging 25% humidity, they’re on track. I’m just sharing this information with you because I lost 50% of the chicks and they were fully developed. Most likely due to too much humidity during incubation.

024DD00E-4DC5-4154-9886-E1DD69211272.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom