Can someone help me with weighing eggs?

Oct 13, 2019
Longmont, CO
Ok so I’m like realllly bad with numbers. Can someone help me figure out if this makes sense? It seems like my eggs aren’t losing near enough weight...
I’m weighing my Marans separately. There are 7 of them. The total weight of them on day 1 was 14.68oz. Today is day 4 and the total weight of them is 14.31oz. I’m kind of stuck there. The goal at the end of hatch, if I’m doing this right is 12.77oz because that’s 13% weight loss. That would be .36oz per day of loss, right? And it seems like they’ve only lost .37 the whole 4 days!! Help! Am I messing something up? I’m only incubating at around 35-40 humidity.

I am no professional by any means. I do know that it’s tough trying to fine tune the incubating. Almost feel like it’s trial and error. Once you nail a good way of doing and have success, stick with it. I’m still in that trial/error phase :p

Good luck with the fuzzy butts!

Oh gosh now I just did the formula for my non Marans eggs (Ameraucanas and OEs) and they’ve lost too much weight. What do I do?!?!
Here’s my #s for this group.
Day 1 total 14.41oz
Day 4 total 13.92oz
Goal at end 12.53
Goal/ day .089
Goal for day 4: .356
Actual loss: .49
I don't think I'd continue to weigh them if I were you.
That's too much messing with them.
Not very precise by weighing them all together either.

Just leave them be.

I've never tracked my eggs this way do I can't help you there.

I would like to know if you have a salt tested humidity gauge in your bator?

What incubator are you using?

I have noticed much better air cells with doing a dry hatch start. Teetering at about 20 to 25% humidity. We’re on day 7 or 8 and they’re perfect. Unlike my last two batches that had tiny air cells the entire incubation. BUT... I don’t weigh them. So I won’t chime in on that part.

I've never tracked my eggs this way do I can't help you there.

I would like to know if you have a salt tested humidity gauge in your bator?

What incubator are you using?

Yep, additional humidity gauge that I keep in there is salt calibrated prior to this hatch. I’m using the incuview.

Back
Top Bottom