Can someone help me with weighing eggs?

Yeah... the Marans are tough. I don’t even check them until day 14 or so. I have 4 with ?s next to them on my sheet. I think we’re on day 9... not a Maran egg, but a Barbezieux which is darker than some, is attached.

I would try lowering the humidity a bit and check/weigh them in a couple days. And hopefully someone will chime in that does the weighing on chicken eggs.

When I ran the humidity too high in my last batch, at day 18 the air cells looked like day 1. Maybe a tiny bit bigger. Now that we’re averaging 25% humidity, they’re on track. I’m just sharing this information with you because I lost 50% of the chicks and they were fully developed. Most likely due to too much humidity during incubation.

View attachment 2007653

Thank you for sharing with me. Sorry to hear you went through that! So it sounds like it would be better to have the air cell a little too big than too small. I have my humidity down to 25 or so now. I don’t want my Ameraucanas and OEs to loose too much but I guess that’s better than the Marans loosing too little.

I am no professional by any means. I do know that it’s tough trying to fine tune the incubating. Almost feel like it’s trial and error. Once you nail a good way of doing and have success, stick with it. I’m still in that trial/error phase :p

Good luck with the fuzzy butts!

Oh gosh now I just did the formula for my non Marans eggs (Ameraucanas and OEs) and they’ve lost too much weight. What do I do?!?!
Here’s my #s for this group.
Day 1 total 14.41oz
Day 4 total 13.92oz
Goal at end 12.53
Goal/ day .089
Goal for day 4: .356
Actual loss: .49
I don't think I'd continue to weigh them if I were you.
That's too much messing with them.
Not very precise by weighing them all together either.

Just leave them be.

:gig Said the CandlingAddict! ;)

I've weighed before, if set up right it can take less time than candling.

I plan to carry on with it since I’ve started and I feel like it provides some good information since candleing the Marans eggs is proving challenging. I just don’t know where to go with the info it provides since one group is loosing too much and the other too little. 😅 Tomorrow is day 7 and I plan to check again. I’ve decreased my humidity since last weigh in.

Back
Top Bottom