Can someone help me?

do I waite and see what hatches or candle and take a chance of miss judgeing an egg and throw out a

• yes, candle

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No waite and see

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

poultry09

Songster
8 Years
Dec 1, 2011
Rainier, Oregon
I have three geese that have been broody for about 27 days and this morning I went and let every one out and I noticed the rotton egg smell, so when I got home from school I went up and let every one out to free range and two of the geese let to eat and take a bath so I went ahead and checked the nest that was not cbeing garded. I candled the 5 eggs and one stuck out the most, I put the flash light up to it and I could see liquid moving around so I went ahead and removed the egg threw it and it exploded (I took it 100yards away, it was not a good egg).Thier are about 14 more eggs total and my question is do you think thier are more bad eggs in the nests and if thier is will they ruin the good eggs?

The problem Is I dont know how to properly candle an egg and dont know what to look for in a good egg and a bad egg,( it was very obious with the one egg) so should I just waite and see what hatches and remove what dosent hatch or what? or does this thread even make sence to you?

Last edited:
My gooses is hatching right now. Her first ( she is also a first time mum) she trod on when it came out the egg.
th.gif
The second i have just helped after 24 hours it had become shrink wrapped. The yolk was totally absorbed she was just dried in. While she was standing to look under her at her new chick an egg exploded across one side of the nest. She just very quickly ate it all up and relined the area with small twigs and soft feathers. In my opinion just leave the eggs till you know one way or the other. Only time will tell. Good luck
jumpy.gif

Ok thanks!, I did not realize they will eat the bad eggs if they expode
sickbyc.gif
, I am hopeing that the rest of the eggs hatch, but I am just nervous that thier are more bad eggs than good ones and that none will hatch (If you cant tell allready this is my first time having goose eggs hatch and I am very nervous but excited to see what happens)

None of my others hatched, i candled them tonight and the put a pin in the air sac end. a faul smell came from each and every one. So, We just have one beautiful little female goose .Good luck with yours if they don´t hatch soon i am guessing yours too are bad.

Ok thanks!, I did not realize they will eat the bad eggs if they expode
sickbyc.gif
, I am hopeing that the rest of the eggs hatch, but I am just nervous that thier are more bad eggs than good ones and that none will hatch (If you cant tell allready this is my first time having goose eggs hatch and I am very nervous but excited to see what happens)

Back
Top Bottom