911 Exploding egg. Are the rest dead too? Should i ho back and get them??

Duckduckgeese123

Hatching
May 14, 2023
So there is a pair of geese I visit every day. I noticed the female laid five eggs and had been sitting on them nonstop. About. Two days ago I walked over and there were only 3 eggs left and it smelled I only saw one shell on the side of the nest and one inside. There were flies everywhere and mom and dad were both frantically grooming themselves. My original thought was a dog or some kids maybe a racoon but they've been pretty protective. It was only about 5 hours since I saw her and she was fine sitting on all five. Well she didn't sit back on them and they were getting grossest so I put them in a basket and took them home to see if they would hatch. I rinsed them of with warm water but didn't scrub them and had them on a heating pad for a couple hours till i got a heat lamp. I've never done this before. Sooo I tried candling them and couldn't really see anything. And didn't kno what I was looking for either but no movement and couldn't see veins but I think it's been about 3 weeks since she laid them. Well about an hour ago I heard a loud pop and the most Duscusting thing I've ever smelled in my life. I panicked *gag* I quickly told my husband to take the box outside... but now I dunno if I should try to get the other two and keep them or if the whole batch is all dead.. they've been outside now for an hour or two.. what should I do? Just leave it? I'm now realizing maybe the other end popped and weren't eaten by predators?

...I kno I kno I probably should have just left them with the mom..

Domestic geese or wild Canada geese? If domestic geese it wouldn’t surprise me they’re having issues with the nest, they are probably dumped former pets. I’d they’re actually wild birds you shouldn’t interfere. There is probably something wrong with most if not all the eggs.

Also if you’re in the US or Canada it’s illegal (and difficult) to hatch them yourself, illegal to disturb the nest site at all. Don’t do it again.

Most geese know when something went wrong with there hatch. Well at least mine do. Every egg is not meant to hatch. If they did there would be more geese in the world than people to care for them. Good for you but mama probably figured it out first. My good brooders will roll the infertile eggs out of there nest at about 2 weeks. They will set the others but some eggs just quite. For lots of reasons mostly nutritional. they start to develop get about 1/2 way and if not removed become time bombs. Once mom realizes that the eggs are no longer responding to her she will give up the hatch and nest. Goslings start responding to mom on week 3 moving vibrating it keeps mom on the nest. Probably sooner. By week 4 the babies and mom have already had lots of conversations. My thought are let nature be its best balance.
If there domestic geese you have been visiting please find them a real home where they can be taken care of and get the nutrition they need. If wild geese let nature take it coerce.. funny how nature balances.

Back
Top Bottom