Can someone help?

ritzzy

Songster
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
Crystal Lake IL
My chick is about a week old, and just tonight, he has been chriping CONSTANTLY! He wont stop and it keeps me up all night! The bottoms of his feet, I noticed are slightly torn, and redder than usual and he won't really walk a lot. The other chicks and ducks hover around him completely and all the time. I am beginning to think he is sick.... whats wrong?!
Not only that, he is extremely bottom heavy and falls right on his butt when he stands.. What do I do? Someone please give me answers

First i would get his feet patched up and then see if he's chirping from that discomfort sounds like it all goes back to his feet... what kind of bedding is there? How much bedding?
Do other chicks and duck looklike they hover to peck or protect?

I would think about removing him from the group and seeing to his feet. You probably want to clean them up well, and then put some neosporin on any open areas (use the kind without painkiller in it. No lidocaine or other "caine" type ingredients) as there has been at least some instance of death related to these medications. You probably will want to fashion a lightweight wrap to protect the open areas (there are bandaging directions that you can most likely access with the search tool in the upper right of this site. I would probably dose the chick with poly-vi-sol without iron. Very important that the baby vitamins not have iron in them. Just dribble a couple of drops on the side of the baby's beak, and allow him to drink them in on his own to prevent aspiration. If you do separate the little guy from the rest, try to pick out a buddy to go with him, as they get very lonely. I think with the constant chirping, he is letting you know that something is wrong. It is possible he injured his feet and then his little peer group started pecking, as they are attracted by the color red. You will have to watch them to insure his safety.

The others are definitely surrounding him to protect him because they won't let me even touch him. I gave him a squirt of poly vi sol last night and it seemed to help. I put a little vitamin E on his feet and it seemed to help. He still cries, but not as much.

He is STILL crying constantly. It stopped for a while but now he is doing it again. I noticed, that he cant keep his balance sometimes, and he cant hold up his wings either..... what is wrong?!

Has he had anymore vitamins today? you could certainly dose him again.
maybe some electrolytes in the water and some scrambled egg for protien.
what is he eating for food?
did he come vaccinated? Is he drinking?

I hatched him so he wasn't vaccinated. And I dont know if he is eating or drinking because I haven't been home all day, but I gave him water with a syringe. He is eating chick starter feed that I bought. I did dose him with poly vi sol again

Back
Top Bottom