Can someone please help me?

This is stressful. I’m not sure I want to do this too often. I mean I feel pretty great that I was able to help this backwards chick, I’m basically a midwife now!
Maybe I will just invest in a hydrometer and send this one back. I don’t know if my sanity can do this very often.
How long should I wait for the second egg before I intervene? It’s pipped in the right spot so I can wait longer for this one right?

This is stressful. I’m not sure I want to do this too often. I mean I feel pretty great that I was able to help this backwards chick, I’m basically a midwife now!
Maybe I will just invest in a hydrometer and send this one back. I don’t know if my sanity can do this very often.
How long should I wait for the second egg before I intervene? It’s pipped in the right spot so I can wait longer for this one right?
I wouldn’t wait too long, give it a few hours though, chicks are pretty good at getting out of the egg

So little chick is still doing great. She owns that incubator, running around and jumping like a mad man. However I just stuck my hand in and turned the pipped egg to see if it had progressed (it has not) and it looks like blood inside. I saw no movement but it’s a small hole.
0742DD7C-362E-4E4B-9CE4-687FA9EBD5C3.jpeg

I took too long to help pipper #2. I took out the egg to get a look and there was blood and an unresponsive chick. I can’t help but feel like saving #1 cost me #2. Ugh!
Number 1 isn’t completely dry yet I think, but I’d like to take her out in case #’s 3 and 4 pip. I don’t want to have to open it while they are trying to make their way out. Thoughts?
3BA3A2BE-26F4-4A96-90A2-9B69079D26A5.jpeg

I took too long to help pipper #2. I took out the egg to get a look and there was blood and an unresponsive chick. I can’t help but feel like saving #1 cost me #2. Ugh!
Number 1 isn’t completely dry yet I think, but I’d like to take her out in case #’s 3 and 4 pip. I don’t want to have to open it while they are trying to make their way out. Thoughts? View attachment 2642123
If there was still blood it's likely it died before it fully absorbed the veins and yolk sac. There's nothing you could have done differently. Even if you had helped, it's likely it never would of fully absorbed the yolk sac and perished regardless.

I'm so sorry to hear about chick #2, but it sounds like you did the best thing saving chick #1. Awesome job, chick momma!!

Thanks gals. Do you think I should remove the chick in case the other two pip? I don’t think they will, but just in case? I took each one out and held them up to my ear and tapped a bit and nothing.

Leave her in there until she is fluffy and walking around on her own. She can stay in there a good 24 hours + if need be. If the others pip and you are ready to take her out, just put a wet paper towel in, but it looks like there are several.

A good way to tell if a chick is ready to hatch is to watch if it yawns. If it is yawning wait for it to absorb the yolk. If it is not yawning then make sure the veins will not bleed. Then it might be time to help a little at a time. The more the chick does on its own the stronger it will be.
Yawning?I have never seen a chick yawn.

Back
Top Bottom