Can someone please help me?

Had to go take my son to the day home and when I got back I grabbed my bowl with a warm wet cloth and more paper towel to continue operation-chick-out. Went downstairs and he was out already. He is all over the place trying to stand. Cheeping loudly and feisty as can be. He’s still stuck the egg shell through his cord, is that normal? He’s dragging the shell all around with him. View attachment 2641461View attachment 2641462View attachment 2641463
Yay! Congratulations 😃 I've had a few that hatched and were still dragging around the shell. It should all dry out and fall off, he or she may even dislodge it just by walking and flailing around. So glad this was a happy outcome!

Thanks for all your advice. The guide at the top of this forum was very helpful too.
He’s thrashing around and flailing all of the other eggs all over the incubator. Is that ok? One pipped about 10 hours ago but nothing since and the other two haven’t pipped at all.
I can’t believe my very first hatch had to be helped so extensively.

Thanks for all your advice. The guide at the top of this forum was very helpful too.
He’s thrashing around and flailing all of the other eggs all over the incubator. Is that ok? One pipped about 10 hours ago but nothing since and the other two haven’t pipped at all.
I can’t believe my very first hatch had to be helped so extensively.
They should be fine with him in there, I've always had a chick or two stumbling into eggs in the incubator. I would keep a close eye on your eggs, just to be on the lookout for any others having problems from low humidity.

You have to remember, using an incubator is just a substitute for nature. It isn't a perfect science and there's still a lot that gets left up in the air when hatching eggs.

I love using incubators but they aren't perfect and you can still have issues like this. Don't let it discourage you. It takes a while to figure out the perfect way to hatch eggs and even then you'll still have some that don't make it or have problems.

Congrats on your little guy and I hope the rest of your hatch goes smoothly! :hugs

That second egg that has pipped for example, is it moving or chirping? Do you hear chirping from any of the others by chance? What day are they on?
No I have not heard a cheep nor is it moving. It is a smaller pip but it is on the correct end unlike this one that just hatched. I didn’t hear this one much until I started working on it either. And he had a much bigger hole.

So curious, should I buy a hydrometer for this incubator. It’s an old Hovabator 1583 I bought from a guy. It got all of the fertile eggs to day 18 alive and moving. But I also accidentally ordered this one from amazon. I was going to return it since I haven’t opened it yet but it says it has both a thermometer and a hydrometer. Thoughts?
image.jpg

So curious, should I buy a hydrometer for this incubator. It’s an old Hovabator 1583 I bought from a guy. It got all of the fertile eggs to day 18 alive and moving. But I also accidentally ordered this one from amazon. I was going to return it since I haven’t opened it yet but it says it has both a thermometer and a hydrometer. Thoughts? View attachment 2641564
I'd say that depends on how many more times you plan on hatching eggs and what your budget looks like. If the one you have works well, then keep it. Being able to keep track of the humidity levels would be good though, your humidity levels may be the reason this chick has trouble, but it's so hard to say since it's the first hatch.

I've only been through a few hatches, so maybe someone more experienced could give you better advice here. I will say that I have the one you have pictured and I really like it. I think that's totally up to you.

Back
Top Bottom