Can someone please help??

Colberon

Songster
Jul 2, 2019
Northern Maine
I had posted about this back a few months ago and was unable to figure out the problem and I'm not begging/hoping that someone can help me. We have six chicken, four live in one coop and two in another and they share a 5x15 foot run with chicken wire in-between to separate my chicken with severe scissor beak and her bunk mate. The problem is, all four of the chickens housed in one coop are going bald and it's so sad, they look TERRIBLE! Plus the "bunk mate" in the other coop is a polish and has no feathers on her head. This is not a case of pecking or bullying, our "bully" is actually the worse off with no feathers on 1/2 her back and clear down around her tail. Two are missing feathers on almost their entire breast and the other was quite bad, but seems to be better. One also has lost all feathers in her vent area clear down to her legs and leg feathers...it's awful and I feel so badly, I so want to figure this out! Is anyone else having this issue??

Not sure if anyone had asked before or if you already know it’s not the case, but could it be possible they have red (feather) mites? Those things apparently if bad enough can cause chickens to pluck out their own feathers. Sorry you’re dealing with this by the way!

D47A94BE-F155-4866-B910-445282FA165B.jpeg
2A1E39C0-4E4C-4F86-9C3D-BE52E75433AC.jpeg 2A1E39C0-4E4C-4F86-9C3D-BE52E75433AC.jpeg 47A309AC-DD4E-4D9C-A8D8-5C932EE89648.jpeg D78C9C8D-B4CF-4E1C-8329-BEC2CF37D9F4.jpeg 85BB3284-96D0-46A3-BC81-E04DF5D970D5.jpeg D47A94BE-F155-4866-B910-445282FA165B.jpeg

Not sure if anyone had asked before or if you already know it’s not the case, but could it be possible they have red (feather) mites? Those things apparently if bad enough can cause chickens to pluck out their own feathers. Sorry you’re dealing with this by the way!

I thought it might be mites or lice and have treating them, but doesn't seem to get any better and I can't see any bugs on them. Our white chicken doe shave some spots on her feathers, but it's weird, doesn't seem like eggs, not sure what they are.

I had posted about this back a few months ago and was unable to figure out the problem and I'm not begging/hoping that someone can help me. We have six chicken, four live in one coop and two in another and they share a 5x15 foot run with chicken wire in-between to separate my chicken with severe scissor beak and her bunk mate. The problem is, all four of the chickens housed in one coop are going bald and it's so sad, they look TERRIBLE! Plus the "bunk mate" in the other coop is a polish and has no feathers on her head. This is not a case of pecking or bullying, our "bully" is actually the worse off with no feathers on 1/2 her back and clear down around her tail. Two are missing feathers on almost their entire breast and the other was quite bad, but seems to be better. One also has lost all feathers in her vent area clear down to her legs and leg feathers...it's awful and I feel so badly, I so want to figure this out! Is anyone else having this issue??
it could possibly be mites

I thought it might be mites or lice and have treating them, but doesn't seem to get any better and I can't see any bugs on them. Our white chicken doe shave some spots on her feathers, but it's weird, doesn't seem like eggs, not sure what they are.
i rescued a hen like this and gave it to our neighbors. they said they’ve been giving the hen some type of medicine. i’m not sure what type though.

I have received a couple of responses thinking it could be mites, we have treated for mites with earth dust on them, cleaned the coop and dusted, put in their dust baths, we are at a loss; any other ideas on what we could do if it is mites?

I actually didn’t see mites at first in my chickens, I had them crawling on me when I went to get eggs...it was nasty. Another thought, since you don’t think it’s then pecking at each other, it could be they aren’t getting enough protein. Chickens will eat feathers if they aren’t getting enough. What are you feeding them currently?

I have received a couple of responses thinking it could be mites, we have treated for mites with earth dust on them, cleaned the coop and dusted, put in their dust baths, we are at a loss; any other ideas on what we could do if it is mites?
there is a spray that will kill the eggs. dust kills the live mites not the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom