can someone please tell me what I have??? Pic

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rockabilly7, Feb 11, 2009.

1. rockabilly7

rockabilly7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Florida panhandle
  2. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    Would help to know a little history. The brown hen , looks like it could be a hatchery grade welsumer. I have no idea about the rooster.

3. rockabilly7

rockabilly7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Florida panhandle
    Ummmm i was given the brown hen from one my fiance's friend and the rooster was brought to me by an animal control officer someone had it in their yard and they weren't zoned agriculture he was tied to a stick by one of his legs.

4. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    Well that doesnt help much but thanks for answering, I am going to have to stand by my guess on the hen (if she lays a dark ,almost mahogany brown egg that will confirm welsumer).

The tied by the leg thing is something that people tend to do with birds of the game variety. He is a handsome fellow for sure.

5. chickNjake

chickNjake Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    east tn
    usually when they're tied like that ('round here at least) they're for fighting, but not always.
    he looks like he has gorgeous feet! [​IMG] lol they look black/purple!

6. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    roosters not a gamefowl (at ALL) therefore most likely isn't used for fighting either. If your fiances friend gave you the hen couldn't they tell you what it is?

-Daniel

PS. post not meant to sound mean or anything

7. Dandelion007

Dandelion007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Durant, OK
    Rooster looks mixed to me. The hen looks game. Maybe a golden phoenix hen. Definitely, ask your fiance's friend what she is. That is if the friend can be reached. Good luck.

8. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I am going to say a game or phoenix hen, she has slate legs. The rooster looks like a crossbreed.

9. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    I think the hen is a game. The rooster is definately not a game.

10. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    Animal control lied to your friend. "Tied to a stick" sounds like some ca-ca the big mouth folks say to inflame people for donations. That is a hatchery rooster, not a game. The hen is some kind of mutt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by