can someone please tell me...

countryladyNH

Crowing
8 Years
Feb 22, 2016
New Hampshire USA
My Coop
My Coop
We have 4 buff orps. I have a coop with some sand in it, cleaned daily, and sand, grit, DE, and wood ash mix UNDER the coop and in the whole run area. In the hot afternoons, my girls love to go back in the run area and under the coop in the shade. My mix is fairly deep and they make depressions and love to lay there, but I have never actually witnessed the 'dust bath'---flapping wings, throwing the stuff up, etc.
I just want to make sure they are doing it!

Last edited:
Thanks!!! It was probably a dumb question but we are still learning all about 'chicken keeping' (Thanks to all the wonderful peeps here!)
jumpy.gif
thumbsup.gif
ya.gif

Thanks!!! It was probably a dumb question but we are still learning all about 'chicken keeping' (Thanks to all the wonderful peeps here!)
jumpy.gif
thumbsup.gif
ya.gif

My small flock are now a little over 3 YO - and I'm still learning too..
wink.png

When my chicks were a few days old, we moved them onto sand litter in their brooder - and I was shocked to see one of my Barred Rocks almost immediately start to do a sand bath...so,so cute. But for a second, I thought something was wrong with her and DH pointed out she was bathing
lau.gif

If you have never witnessed a sand bath, you are missing out - you need to try to be available to see it.

Lol, yes that is why I was wondering and asked, because I am here all day and still have not seen them in action!
We let them out every AM to forage around the yard/gardens, but it seems in the early afternoon they are ready to go back "home" and lay around in the shade in the sand under the coop. I look periodically but every time so far they are all laying together in depressions in the sand peering at me through the hardware cloth and making soft cooing sounds! They are apprx. 18-20 weeks old and I still can't seem to be at the right place at the right time, lol! Guess I'll have to watch on youtube and hope I catch mine doin' the dust dance one of these days!
D.gif

Lol, yes that is why I was wondering and asked, because I am here all day and still have not seen them in action!
We let them out every AM to forage around the yard/gardens, but it seems in the early afternoon they are ready to go back "home" and lay around in the shade in the sand under the coop. I look periodically but every time so far they are all laying together in depressions in the sand peering at me through the hardware cloth and making soft cooing sounds! They are apprx. 18-20 weeks old and I still can't seem to be at the right place at the right time, lol! Guess I'll have to watch on youtube and hope I catch mine doin' the dust dance one of these days!
D.gif

They may be bathing in the yard or garden. Or they could be bathing and stop when they see you - hoping for treats?

Have you watched them from a location where they cannot see you watching?

Back
Top Bottom