Can someone point me to a thread about hens not laying in summer?

pigcoon

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Vermont
I feel bad asking questions that get asked all the time, and usually I get no responses anyway, but here goes:

I have 5 Golden Comets. They are two years old.

I get 3 eggs a day out of 5.

They are not molting.

They get a standard Purina Layena feed and plenty of water. In the a.m. they get a few table scraps, mostly veggies or lettuce/cabbage.

They are healthy.

They are not free range because we have falcons around that would like to eat them, but their coop and run are about 18 feet by 8 feet with a sand floor.

Occasionally I get a fourth egg that is more oblong and often too soft so that it breaks.

My girls have cut way back...............i am getting day 1 / 11 eggs,day 2 / 6 eggs out of 12 hens,i do not see a moult either.I feel the heat that came on so quick might be doing it.

I didn't find a good thread on a quick search, but something you didn't mention is your nesting boxes.

Hens need to feel safe while laying, or in many cases they just won't. I have had to lower one nest box lower to the floor to get two of my girls to lay. They just plain didn't like the ones up higher, despite what Storey's guide tells me about putting up nesting boxes! One of the ones lower to the ground seems to be preferred by these two hens too, and I think it's because the big container that houses all the stuff I don't want them (or any other critters) getting into is blocking it from the doorway. I think they're just like me, I can't stand it if the door to the bathroom is open while I'm... taking care of business. They poo wherever, so their business is eggs, lol.

Another thing I didn't see you mention is calcium. You said you're giving balanced feed, but do you have any oyster shells around, and/or do you feed eggshells back to them? They often need more calcium than is in the feed, but only the individual chicken will know how much, so if you're not already, make sure they have these available at all times.

Now you also mentioned they're two years old. Did you have them during their first laying year? How was their lay rate then? The first year is the most productive year, so there may be a drop off because of that, too.

And the last thought that comes to mind is that there are those (here on this forum and out in real life) who believe that the not-long-ago nuclear incident in Japan is affecting chickens (and other critters) around the globe.

Edit to add: I agree with below post, I've been quite pleased with my 2-3/day with 5 layers. And the production "breeds" that they say you can get 300 eggs from in a year are generally only expected to live for a year (or less) after they start laying in a commercial setting...

Also, do you know whether it's the same three hens laying every day, or are you getting an egg from each every two days or so?

Last edited:
Ditto above post. I often have hens who lay maybe every other day during the height of their laying season. I like this because it gives me hope that their bodies will not wear out as fast and that they therefore might get to enjoy life longer.
smile.png

JJ

If this is all the time in the summer-
3 eggs from 5 is pretty good.

If this is during a heat wave-
It's normal for them to slow down or stop laying in a heat wave.

Thanks everyone. I guess I was comparing it to their first year, when I got 5 eggs a day almost year round. Not really a heat wave. It's been a pretty cool, wet spring.

To answer needsnewbrain, they share one nesting box but also they create a little hay nest in the hay in the area near their box.

I'm not sure if it is the same 3 hens laying every day--but I think so, based on the shape of the eggs--there is a repetition to them. The large oblong egg that is soft isn't being layed every day right now.

I guess I will try adding oyster shell. I have been feeding the soft shelled egg back to them each day. I mix it with some oatmeal and warm water and give it to them.

Sounds like I should probably be satisfied with this! Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom