24-26 weeks old, no eggs?

Chanchilla

Chirping
Sep 22, 2023
Hi guys! This is my first flock of chickens, just want to make sure all is well.

For some background:
When my chickens were 16 weeks, I gave them to a relative to look after because I needed to travel. Came back a month later to find them in horrible condition; they'd been locked in a dark cellar and were super skinny! Three had (according to her) died from predators.

So I took the remaining four back (along with three other grey ones, ages and kind unknown to me) and got to work fattening them up. They have a large coop and sunny run, and seem to be happy and spoiled now.

I have chickens (7), 5 hens and 2 roosters. Everyone gets along, no fighting and no mating yet.

Three are a mix of Buff Orpington, Copper Marans, and Easter Eggers, got them as chicks at 3 days old from a local farm. They're now 26 weeks old.
Three rescued: two hens are grey, smallish and flighty, and the rooster is big and white/red. No idea their ages or breed, but none are old as they've grown quite a bit since I got them. I think they're all under 7-8 months.
The last is a golden comet I got from tractor supply, she's 25 weeks.

So my main concern is, none of them are laying eggs. Even the golden comet, who I read should start laying 16-19 weeks, is now 24+ weeks old and still no eggs.

So my questions are,
Is it possible that the month they spent in bad conditions has affected their egg laying?
Or maybe they ARE laying and just eating the eggs, devouring all evidence?

Maybe I just need to be patient and alls well.
They've been on layer pellets for 2 weeks, and have always gotten fresh veggies (cabbage, tomatoes, general kitchen scraps) and grains, along with occasional treats of mealworms and black fly larvae.
Thoughts?

Welcome to BYC!
Even if they hadn’t suffered that traumatic period, they still might not lay until spring. Days are getting too short now. (If you live in the northern hemisphere.). 16-19 weeks is not a given anyway.
Make sure their layer feed makes up at least 90% of their diet, and don’t despair!
I hope you’ll update us on their progress….good luck!

Welcome to BYC!
Even if they hadn’t suffered that traumatic period, they still might not lay until spring. Days are getting too short now. (If you live in the northern hemisphere.). 16-19 weeks is not a given anyway.
Make sure their layer feed makes up at least 90% of their diet, and don’t despair!
I hope you’ll update us on their progress….good luck!
I see! So because they haven't already started, their bodies may naturally wait to start in Spring?
I live in southern USA, and we're generally in the high 70's right now

I see! So because they haven't already started, their bodies may naturally wait to start in Spring?
I live in southern USA, and we're generally in the high 70's right now
Right. It’s not the temperature, but the length of day…tho there are some breeds that lay all winter. Fingers crossed yours will lay sooner.

Also, anyone know what sort of fluffers these may be?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230922-132501~2.png
    Screenshot_20230922-132501~2.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20230919_172852865.jpg
    PXL_20230919_172852865.jpg
    563.3 KB · Views: 23
I’m thinking Easter Eggers….the one blue one on bottom in first pic is a male, is he the one behind in 2nd pic?

I’m thinking Easter Eggers….the one blue one on bottom in first pic is a male, is he the one behind in 2nd pic?
That's a male?? I had no idea, I thought it was a hen. If so, that means I have 3 roosters. Yes, it's the same one, those two are always together.

You also said that they've only been on layer feed for two weeks. Perhaps only let them eat that, no snacks until they start, and then only 10% of their food as previously mentioned. I have a Welsummer that didn't lay until she was 28 wks. Production breeds seem to start sooner. With the nutritional deficiency at the early part of their lives, as mentioned, their bodies are still catching up from that.
Be patient. Pullets will lay eventually. My late July hatched ones started laying in January-February, and this is here in Washington, where our daylight is very short in winter.
Have you looked in places other than the nesting boxes? At one time, I had an Easter egg hunt nearly every day until they learned where to lay them, and their bodies figured out what the urge was. If eggs are being eaten, you will find evidence of that, whether it's leftover egg shell, or slimy bedding. The yolk and shell seems to be favored. I found a leftover shell and some white just today.

Back
Top Bottom