Can someone provide their layer mix formula for bulk purchase??

dday911

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 4, 2008
I finally found a feed mill an hour from the house that will custom blend my feed for me. I should save some money this way.... problem is I can't get a quote until I tell them exactly what I want in it......
I need a formula that you have used and like...
Example----70% corn, 12% soy, 12% brewers mash, 2 % DE etc.
Can anyone help me out?
Looking for a 17% grower/layer mix similiar to what I buy at my local Tractor Supply but at a large discount due to volume.
The mill could not give me a mix they have used in the past. I guess they have not had a request such as this before?

If you wish to formulate your own, google "Pearsons square" for a starting point.
Liongrip has great but expensive recipes:http://www.lionsgrip.com/recipes.html

As for me, after many trials I decided to keep it simple & cost effective:
325# ground corn
185# Bean meal
20# Akey Layer 75 (Or whatever poultry vit/mn concentrate your mill uses)
I'll also add a bale of alfalfa if I have it.
This yields a 21% ration as anything lower & my production drops. No oyster shell so I can use it for starter/grower, merely offer shell free choice to layers.
FYI, all mills I've ever used require a 500# minimum to custom grind/mix. Save your bags for repeat trips.

If that question is for me, ABSOLUTELY! Oats/wheat are great. That's why I enouraged the OP to familiarize themselves with Pearsons Square, anyone can formulate the protein level of a ration easily using it. I tried various blends for quite some time before arriving at the basic ration I listed above. In my case, that's the base feed for all poultry here. For starter feed I add cocci-rid to the basic mix. For layer, free choice oyster shell, & use BOSS, rolled oats, or cracked wheat as a scratch. Roos merely get the basic mix. If I have broilers at the time I increase the bean meal. It provides flexibilty while keeping costs as low as possible.

Back
Top Bottom