Can Someone Sex these 6 Peafowl?

Cadet_Jeff

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 2, 2009
Gnaw Bone IN
I have uploaded pics of my recovering peacocks/pheasants (see sick peacocks post) and uploaded to:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jeffquick61

I
have each album labeled with individual peacocks. The pheasant album has 2 pics of two individual Red Golden Pheasants

If this isn't the best way to show pics to the group, I can upload directly to the forum.

Some still have some residual effects of being sick, so be kind:) The pheasants look the worst but all are on the road to recovery.

I didn't bother uploading the whites as I have heard those are impossible to sex until they get much older.

The frizzle album is just up for fun.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jeff

yep, agree first 5 are males, last BS hen, and the one in "4 loud pied" next to BS hen is also a girl.

On top of the cameo being a blue.. the two loud pieds don't seem to be loud pied to me. If you were expecting male to have some white in tail, won't happen.

Yes the 7th ,or last pic is a hen. Agree the pied are not loud.
If the pied bred together ,you will get some white chicks.

The one marked cameo, maybe spilt Cameo.

Many thanks to all who replied. I was hoping for mostly males and this worked out well. A couple questions:

1) The person I bought most of these from explained that a Loud Pied is mostly dark with small patches of white, while a pied is mostly white with small patches of color. Is this correct? If these are not Loud Pied, what are they and what will they look like when adults?

2) Any idea of the sex of the pheasants?

You guys are the best!!

Sigh. The naming system for Pied in general is a mess. It has not been standardized by UPA afaik.. tried to get a discussion going but it kind of went nowhere and only a few members got involved. However that's a very first for me to see loud pied described like that!

Usually(remember above..) "loud pied" means a bird with a LOT of white, or at least clear patches of white distributed all over the body. Loud is meant as in "very flashy". A loud pied is "supposed" to have at least some white in the tail, making his display more "flashy"(loud, in other words).

"Pied" is both used very interchangeably or used to describe the gene itself. Some pieds are called simply "pied" even if they have a lot of white, or just a little white. Sometimes it seems to be used for a pied that is not a silver pied once silver pieds became common. Also not so rare for birds that are probably split white to get labeled with 'pied' even if the white is limited to the wing tips and/or chin.

A lot of people will call pieds with "not much white" as Dark Pied. However yet again.. it is used inconsistently.. used on both Pied with not much white OR a (genetically) pure pied(this was the original meaning for 'dark pied')

Your pied male appears to be possibly a split white, although dark pied(genetic pure pied) or a pied with pretty much a bare minimum of white can't be ruled out. He's also a white eyed.. that is what the random, isolated feathers with white tips are- a white eyed trait.

Your female definitely is a pied. The band of white going across back of her head/neck and patch right on top of head is a classic pied marking trait. She may have been out of silver pied stock.. you will find out for sure if she and the 'pied' male mate and throw silver pied chicks. At any rate, she definitely is a white eyed pied at least. The silvery color with sugar frosted sheen is a white eyed trait and white eyed is involved in making silver pieds. If she does not have a clear, well defined patch of white on her back or by the tail area, I would personally not describe her as a loud pied.. but then again see above.. definitions vary due to there not being a standardized rating and naming system for pieds..

I was hoping someone else would answer on the pheasants.. it's been a while since I had them.. my first guess was one male(second pic) and one female(first pic).. the "female one" is darker brown and has dark eyes while the other one seems to be getting lighter on his face/neck/breast area.. barring not so well defined. Eye seems to be lighter but could not tell if that was just due to the glare from camera or not.

As for how a pied will look when adult.. they are born with well defined patches of white which are permanent. They also feather out white from those pied patches, immediately, right from the start. They do not "get whiter" as they age.. have had people try to tell me or someone else this, but this is not true. So.. your hen will look like she is right now, forever. She may get more random white feathers and/or lose them through the years but that is solely a white eyed trait not a pied thing. If your male does not have a patch of white feathers on his back/tail area he won't show pied marking as an adult. If he shows a single white feather, he will have that as an adult.. basically you already will know how he looks.. if he has no white in tail, he will pretty much look like a regular Blue with the same white he has on wings and chin. He also has white eyed, which is something you can't tell how it will express until he is fully mature- maybe he will have a lot of white eyes or none. Very variable trait.

Last edited:
Silver Pied are mostly white.
Pied are mostly colored, small amout of white.
Loud pied are birds with lot of white, but not as much as silver pieds.

All Silver Pied are white eye.

Not all white eyes are silver pieds.
White eye is harder to see in the other colors, like opal,charcoal, when young.

BS Silver pieds ,do get more white feather as they age .Silver pieds the hens have the silver feather on the back.

Back
Top Bottom