1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can someone talk to me about record keeping?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Quail_Antwerp, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    I need some advice on how to keep GOOD records on the birds I'm pairing, so I can keep track of what offspring came from what roo/hen pairing.

I will have several different projects going this year, plus decided to get serious about improving what I already have.

I figure leg bands are a start, with numbers on them, correct?

I'd just like a few examples, please, of how others who are serious with their poultry projects keep clear, concise, and accurate records. [​IMG]

Thank you!

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Hello,
    We use wing bands, Excel, and a backup notebook.

Each chick gets a wing band put on at one week of age, the number on the band is then put into Excel and the backup notebook.

Chris

3. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Im using Excel now too. x2 on the backup notebook plus I have it on a jump drive as well.

4. Cjarvis

Cjarvis Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    I keep an excell spreadsheet, backed up on an external hardrive. I place a photo of each of teh breeder birds in one column. I toe punch the pens at hatch, band only the ones I want to keep after 16 weeks of age, record thier band number and note them as the keepers from each mating. If I have a mating with very few that are keepers I don't duplicate that one.

5. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    toe punch works well

6. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Thank you for the suggestions!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by