Can someone tell me what color and sex peafowl I hatched?

oh snap

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 10, 2013

Timmy on top of my head hey rube on arm ice sitting beside me, heyrube on armin secondpic. Ice was bornwhite and has started to get large black spotting on his back and a green neck with orangey looking feathers low. Hey rube has bars but not as much as when younger no green or blue. timmmy kinda has barring and white around bottom of body. Timmy has bright green like ice that changes to blue depending on how he holds his head. Jules is silver color with no blue or green and is the shyest of the 4. Rube is the friendliest always in my lap.Julesison myarm in the top pic.Any help would be appreciated.

I am not sure about this peahen...It might be an Opal peahen, or a Taupe peahen. I am not good with the grey ones...

The Bird to the far left looks like a black shoulder peacock. The bird in the middle might be a dark pied peahen (because of the white throat), and the one on the right is a peacock. I can't tell the color of his neck that well. Is it a black/grey or is it a purple color? He might be a bronze peacock.
If you can, could you get some photos of their back, neck, and if any of them have white splotches get photos of that too. Young black shoulders will have white feathers with black on them and as they age the feathers will color out. Basically an adult black shoulder looks like a regular peacock but with all black wings that have a blue/green shine. The other ones if they have white flight feathers or white spots that can mean several different things. Normally it means they could be pied or split to pied or white.

I am pretty sure I sexed them all right, but as for the colors I am not 100% sure.
wink.png

Thankyou so much. These are my 1st peas and I know nothing except what I've read here. I was pretty sure I had 2 pair but I was going on the two with the green that they were the boys but I'll believe you. The last one you said is a boy I was sure was a girl. Named it Rube but started calling it Ruby because no green on it and it is so friendly I can't sit down without it being in my lap.I love these birds and was scared when the two were green because I had read they are tropical and don't do good in cold climates. The eggs came from S. Dakota and I live in Missouri. They were hatched in March, and in the last month have started growing like weeds and the two got color. I am going to try to send pic showing more of their backs but excuse if they are not the right ones I can barely see the thumbnails but i'll try to pick out ones with the backs ect., again thank you so much.

I love these birds and was scared when the two were green because I had read they are tropical and don't do good in cold climates. If they have a bit of green blood in them (Spalding) they will still be okay in cold temps. The more green blood they have the more heat they will need in the winter but so far none of them look to have a lot if any green blood.

The one on the right is a male. If the left one is a white it will be hard to sex it. Whites can be hard to sex until they are about a year old.

This one is a boy. You can tell because of the bars on his wing feathers. Peahens will have solid brown wings and the males have barred wings (unless if they are black shoulder males). I am not a color/variety expert except for the kinds I keep or am interested in having but I still say this boy looks like a bronze. Here is a link to a photo of an adult bronze peacock: http://www.texaspeafowl.com/images/bbz.JPG

I am guessing this is the bronze again and behind him is the black shoulder male.

Black shoulder male. I only have a black shoulder peahen so I have never kept a black shoulder peacock, but I know that they can be fun to watch grow. Those white feathers are replaced with colored feathers until they end up looking like this:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-688FkZ2IZYI/T86OkFhostI/AAAAAAAAAJM/_G41QPSQURM/s1600/DSC_0726BS.jpg

thank you very much, the top pic the one on the left is a grey one lady called her an opal. The black shoulder was born solid white and now has those disigns over his back and getting orange flight feathes, and you are right he has been so much fun to watch grow and change.. I didn't realize i had two pics of Rube but another lady said he was a bronze boy. The one I missed was born with her legs straight out and the others would stomp all over her and she would try to drag herself with her wings. I took her to 3 different vets and each said to take her to another. I finally bought some vet wrap and wrapped her legs from the knees down made her look like she had a skirt on but kept her legs not totally straight but kinda out and i left it 10 days and when i took it off she was perfect. I am very ignorant about these birds and the vets in my area are clueless. I have only seen peas at the zoo not close up and now have 4 youngsters that all have different personality and color and a reason to get up in the morning. The grey is very shy and the bronze which probably would not be of great value if he were sold, is my favorite as he climbs onto my lap. sits on my head and is so loving. What concerns me is though he is such a great guy I've been told males get mean. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my question and the links to the adults were great. I'm trying to sell my house and find a place in the country as i live right downtown in a small town, i did purchase a poultry license so i'm good for now but i think as they grow older their will be a war and i can't blame them for not wanting to hear them, right now the neighbors are clueless and say oh we thought they make a lot of noise and yours are so quiet. I have read enough to know this will change. I'm sorry I just started going on and on...I'm pretty much a shut in and when I find someone to talk to I talk to much. Sorry and thank you so much for trying to educate me.

thank you very much, the top pic the one on the left is a grey one lady called her an opal. The black shoulder was born solid white and now has those disigns over his back and getting orange flight feathes, and you are right he has been so much fun to watch grow and change.. I didn't realize i had two pics of Rube but another lady said he was a bronze boy. The one I missed was born with her legs straight out and the others would stomp all over her and she would try to drag herself with her wings. I took her to 3 different vets and each said to take her to another. I finally bought some vet wrap and wrapped her legs from the knees down made her look like she had a skirt on but kept her legs not totally straight but kinda out and i left it 10 days and when i took it off she was perfect. I am very ignorant about these birds and the vets in my area are clueless. I have only seen peas at the zoo not close up and now have 4 youngsters that all have different personality and color and a reason to get up in the morning. The grey is very shy and the bronze which probably would not be of great value if he were sold, is my favorite as he climbs onto my lap. sits on my head and is so loving. What concerns me is though he is such a great guy I've been told males get mean. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my question and the links to the adults were great. I'm trying to sell my house and find a place in the country as i live right downtown in a small town, i did purchase a poultry license so i'm good for now but i think as they grow older their will be a war and i can't blame them for not wanting to hear them, right now the neighbors are clueless and say oh we thought they make a lot of noise and yours are so quiet. I have read enough to know this will change. I'm sorry I just started going on and on...I'm pretty much a shut in and when I find someone to talk to I talk to much. Sorry and thank you so much for trying to educate me.
It probably is an opal then. That is a great success story about the one you had to wrap her legs. Sometimes they hatch with crooked toes or splayed leg and you have to fix it yourself. I just do what you did and fix those kind of problems on my own. I don't know if the vet would know what to do and also I don't have to pay for it when I fix it. I did lose a peachick that had feed that just could not be fixed. It was really sad because it couldn't get around to eat and everything. I tried to fix it but I am glad that your birds legs were fixed! I first saw peafowl at the zoo and then I was hooked. Finally in High School I got my first peafowl. I had to research them a lot to prove to my parents that I was serious about getting peafowl. I have had them now for about 5 years. I have 9 peafowl but eventually I want to have more. Eventually I want to live on at least 100 acres in the country so I can have lots of animals and have a large garden. I love the country! Right now I don't have problems with neighbors disliking the noise, but I can't really free-range because I keep them at my Grandma's so I can't be there to supervise them. I have a tame peacock I hatched out named Peep. He is imprinted to me and thinks I am his mom. He follows me around and likes to be pet. I will see pretty soon if he will become aggressive or not. This spring he will be a mature adult (3 years old) and it is around that age that I think if they are going to be aggressive they start to show it. I don't think my Peep will become aggressive but if he does I think they only become aggressive during the breeding season. Don't worry I love answering your questions! I love peafowl a lot and love to talk about them. I don't exactly fit in all the time. I can be in a crowd of people and feel alone. There are only a few people that I can actually easily talk to and open up to. Mainly I am just not interested in everything other people my age are interested in. They are into music, movies, video games, etc. and I am into peafowl and plants. That is why it is hard for me to talk to people sometimes so I love talking to people here on BYC who share the same interests. If you have anymore questions I can answer them or help you find the answer. Here is my website which may be able to answer a few questions: www.bamboopeacock.com
Other good websites are
http://www.leggspeafowl.com/
http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/

And there are some more good ones on my website's link page.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom