Can Squirrels Harm Chickens or Eggs

Yup, I've seen squirrels raid birds nests before and carry off the babies, while the frantic parents dive-bombed to no avail.

Squirrels and other rodents CAN carry rabies, but it is rare. So, you should still be careful. Woodchucks are the most likely member of the squirrel family to become rabid.

I would definitely NOT trust squirrels not to take newly hatched chicks.

Squirrels will eat your rafters, your tomatoes, your plastic netting, pot plants, dig up your garden and your pot plants, and destroy just about everything they can reach. But they generally won't eat the chicks. During nesting, if they are hungry enough, all bets are off. I don't think they'd actually attack a living being but they'll sure eat anything edible and then some. I'd be happy if I never saw another squirrel ever again, they are a plague. And yes, they can carry rabies though it is extremely rare. Since they are basically rats with fluffy tails they probably can carry other diseases though.

Quote:
I doubt a squirrel would try to take an active, moving, running chicken chick! You're right there. However, helpless non-mobile wild bird chicks in nests are a snack they'll take if they are hungry. That said we're mainly concerned about our chickens, here, and so it's not a big threat.

Quote:
I have in fact seen squirrels eat 'meat', they are not obligate herbivores (rabbits) - they steal catfood when it is out in the daytime.

They are not hunter like dogs or cats, but if they find an easy meal- they will eat, especially in nesting seasons.

That doesn't mean anything my horse used to steal dog food and its made out of horse
smile.png
....But I think they would steal an egg probably not a baby chicken

Doubt will harm chickens or eggs when feed is available.

I keep a live traps out at nights, and forgot to spring one yesterday morning, and funny thing, I come home from work last night.......and a VERY upset squirrel was in there...LOL...I didn't feel like a sandwich so I just opened the trap, and he was GONE, and I mean GONE....like next county gone. It was histerical.....

TNT

Squirrels can, and do, eat meat. When I interned at a wildlife rehab center we had to make sure they got enough protein to make up for the eggs/bugs/baby birds etc they weren't getting. That being said, it would have to be an awful determined red squirrel to run off with a baby chicken. I think it would be more likely they'll eat your feed stores up than hurt your chickens.

Could a sqirrel steal an 9 week old sleeping baby chick? I had two go missing and I do have a sqirrel problem. The opening they would have gotten throih is about 3 inches.

Quote:
I am just curious and you dont have to answer this question. When you say "pot plants" are you referring to plants that are potted or.............?
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom