Can stress cause sour crop/clear watery poo

Boergoatlover

Chirping
Jul 30, 2020
Hi all

I’m hoping for some advice, I was away on holiday for 3 days and the night I was not home a fox attempted to get into my run (I’ve never seen a rod in 10 years here and I think a neighbour has been feeding them in the garden) luckily my mum saw and chased it away but watching back on the camera it was throwing itself at the run and the hens was screaming and terrified.

this morning my 10 year old girl violet has a full squishy crop, she’s got clear poo (picture attached) and she just wants to stay in the coop when I’ve taken her out she’s extremely unsettled shouting and pacing. She is sort of mother hen to my other girls she’s always the one who shouts if there is anything and mum said the 2 nights before the fox was seen she wouldn’t go to bed and was pacing up and down shouting which is not like her. Even today I can only describe her as being agitated she’s just pacing, I’m on fox watch and I’ve touch wood made the run like an anti fox fort.

I don’t know whether or not to take her to the vets or leave it till Monday and see if I can treat her at home. She’s a very stressy hen and I worry travelling her will make the stress worse, I’ve got Nystin at home and I’ve given her some of this morning but would be grateful for any advice if this could all be caused by stress or if something else is going on and if I should be going to the vet this morning.

She does not lay and hasn’t in about 3 years touch wood her tummy doesn’t feel swollen so I’m hoping it’s not something like EYP or a blockage.

She’s occasionally scratching in the garden but mainly just wants to be in bed.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_5448.jpeg
    IMG_5448.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5449.jpeg
    IMG_5449.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
I was doing some research and I read that stress can be a cause , yes. I think you’re supposed to move her away from the rest of the flock into a safe, quiet place and not give any food or water. There are articles about what to do On this website in the article section. I’ve never had to deal with this, Just learning myself. I hope someone knowledgeable will come along with good advice soon. Your hen is beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom