Can the port style bucket feeders cause bald spots

Teddychet

In the Brooder
May 24, 2021
We have a flock of 16 birds and currently 6 of them have bald spots on their throats. We use 2 Rent A Coop bucket feeders with the ports. I had the feeders set up on tall cinder blocks and was noticing the chickens throats rub pretty hard on the port when they reach down to feed, right where their bald spots are. Could this be the issue. I removed the covers from the ports and I lowered the feeders to just 2" off the ground and they don't seem to rub nearly as badly. It has been about a week and I have not noticed feathers coming back in but there seems to be little spikes starting to grow which I am guessing are feather starters?

I have checked for mites and lice about a gazillion times and no indication, they all lay great, almost daily. nice big red and healthy combs and generally very happy chickens who have access to a 600 square foot run! And get to free range daily so I do not believe it is picking or boredom as it is localized only to their throats.

Any one have any suggestions or thoughts?

I have attached a photo of the bald spot on our girl Francesca

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• thumbnail (2).jpg
    thumbnail (2).jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Here is a photo of the feeder from last summer when my birds were much smaller and before I propped them up on full size cement blocks. I since took the white hoods off and put them back on those smaller flat style blocks like in the photo

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 29
It might be scratching them.
Try put some cotton or felt on the parts that scratch them.
Or you might need a new feeder. I have one similar to this one and it's really good:
41r9UHYSU8L._AC_.jpg

OMG!! That's why my chickens have missing feathers!! I've been trying to figure it out for a couple months, I thought maybe it was the stress of integration but now I wonder if it's the feeder.

I have the same feeder (and love it) & my chickens are all missing feathers in the same place as yours. Not as bad as yours, but still missing.

I may try lowering it, it's on a cinder block now.

I'm so happy you posted about this, it's been driving me crazy why they'd be picking feathers when they have no space or food issues.

Last edited:
OMG!! That's why my chickens have missing feathers!! I've been trying to figure it out for a couple months, I thought maybe it was the stress of integration but now I wonder if it's the feeder.

I have the same feeder (and love it) & my chickens are all missing feathers in the same place as yours. Not as bad as yours, but still missing.

I may & try lowering it, it's on a cinder block now.

I'm so happy you posted about this, it's been driving me crazy why they'd be picking feathers when they have no space or food issues.
I hate to admit this but I am glad someone else is having the same issue as me! If we are experiencing the same and have the same feeders than that has to be it, right!?!? Just yesterday I inspected the ones with bald spots closely and I am noticing some real feather re growth starting! So lowering the feeders and removing those white hoods has started to make a difference I believe! I will keep you posted and please do the same for me!

Back
Top Bottom