Can the port style bucket feeders cause bald spots

I have two of the same feeders and none of my ladies are missing feathers like yours
I have noticed its only certain breeds we have that are having this issue, our 1 olive egger and mostly our Rhode Island Reds and 1 of our Plymouth Rocks are the only ones to seem to be having an issue. our Buff Orpington and our Wyandottes are just fine

I hate to admit this but I am glad someone else is having the same issue as me! If we are experiencing the same and have the same feeders than that has to be it, right!?!? Just yesterday I inspected the ones with bald spots closely and I am noticing some real feather re growth starting! So lowering the feeders and removing those white hoods has started to make a difference I believe! I will keep you posted and please do the same for me!
Will do for sure!

I lowered it today, put it on a couple 4x4s. Here's hoping!
I have noticed its only certain breeds we have that are having this issue, our 1 olive egger and mostly our Rhode Island Reds and 1 of our Plymouth Rocks are the only ones to seem to be having an issue. our Buff Orpington and our Wyandottes are just fine
Mine is only my RSL birds, none of the others have the issue.

Good idea. I don't want to remove the white cover, it's nice to be able to leave it out during blowing rain & snow.

I got it - car door trim! It works perfectly on the lip of the white hood part. Hopefully that helps, it sure does take the sharp edge off the plastic.

IMG_20210525_112908203.jpg

IMG_20210525_112952151.jpg

IMG_20210525_113257385.jpg

It has a glue strip on the inside, so yes, glued sort of! I'll keep an eye on it & see if they bother with it.

Hey Teddy. Try hanging the feeder instead of using cement blocks. Waterers too. That way n they mare less likely to rub against anything. I even do this with chicks in the brooder. It will also save on your feed bill, as they can't easily bill anything out. And you can take up the feeders when you put the flock up for the night.

Back
Top Bottom