1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can their poop make them sick if it gets on their treats?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by linders, Mar 21, 2013.

1. linders

linders Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    First timer here~ have our four pullets in a brooder, though they are getting too big for it and every day we change the shavings because there is poop everywhere! Then when we feed them treats, they are so messy and flip them everywhere, including into the pine shavings and in their poop. Can they get sick if they eat off of the dirty shavings? It's amusing to watch them chase after grapes but gross to watch them eat one in a mess of poo!

2. happylittlehens

happylittlehens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2013
    Utah
    I'm new to this as well. I don't know that it will make them sick, but I'm sure it can't be a good thing. Just try to keep it as clean as you can.

3. Reurra

Reurra Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    Ive observed that they are fine. its gross, but fine. I would not suggest it, but it should not hurt them. My girls ahve walked through poop and were all muddy footed, just to go and scratch at their treats with those same dirty feet. They are fine, all grown up too. Try and offer them a clean area to eat, but dont panic if they do ingest some of it. Make sure to keep your shavings clean too, every couple of day if they are chicks and about once a week for hens if they are confined. I sift their shavings every day, except in winter when i use the deep litter method.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  4. linders

linders Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    Omg, we change the shavings daily and still poop everywhere! Must be that our brooder is too small now? They are all over each other but it's still getting down to 30 at night so we don't want to move them yet.

5. MontanaDolphin

MontanaDolphin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2013
    Columbia, Virginia
    LOL I catch my 3 week old babies (barred rocks) pecking at their poop! It's so gross! But, they are animals...look at the way dogs act...I know of quite a lot of dogs that eat cat poop out of litter boxes (my dog included...until we got rid of the cat)...I think if the poop was gonna hurt them, there wouldn't be many animals left on the planet! I'm just thankful I was born a human, so I don't have to worry about it! [​IMG]

6. kynewbchickie

kynewbchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm using the deep litter method/sifting daily, and thorough cleaning once per week...people have suggested using sand and scooping it with a litter sifter. Using pine shavings and my cleaning regimen, we don't have a stink except right inside the brooder which is GREAT - we've got 30 in our basement. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by