Can these 2 have babies?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by turningchicken, Dec 29, 2010.

1. turningchicken

turningchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    My white hen...not sure what she is...was hatched with a lame leg but I still had to keep her. She doesn't know any other way of life, but I am wondering if she will be safe to hatch young ones. Also my frizzle is about 7 months old and has just begun to crow this week? isn't that awfully old to decide to crow?

[​IMG]

2. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Since I'm the only one to reply I think I'm goign to have to say that I wouldn't breed the hen just because I might be afraid of her passing on the lameness.... And the roo seems a bit young to be ready for fertilization. Anyone is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong.

Hope someone else chimes in,
    My Chooks Chick

3. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I've never heard of a lameness being passed on to chicks. The only thing I would worry about would be her getting hurt during breeding if she doesn't have proper balance/support. Other than that I don't see any reason she couldn't raise chicks. They'll probably make adorable babies! And some roos are just late bloomers...

4. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Your white hen is beautiful. I am with you I wont' get rid of something that has something wrong with it.

How did something happen with your girls leg? Was it born like that from some of your chickens or did you get her from somewhere else?

I wouldn't see why you couldn't hatch their eggs but I would be afraid of the leg issue being passed on to future hatches. It also depends also if she wants to sit on the eggs. you could incubate the eggs if the heriditary issue doesn't bother you.

oh your boy is pretty also and maybe it depends on the rooster to determine when he is going to crow. if you have more than one rooster then that could be why he waited.

5. turningchicken

turningchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    Quote:I incubated both of these and she appeared to have splay leg when she dried off.

[​IMG]

I think I made things worse by trying to bandage it. I have never had a chicken that looks like either of them. Stupid question...how do I keep them from mating if I am afraid she would get hurt? I would love for them to at least lay eggs but if she wouldn't hurt a baby by the way she stumbles I know she would make a great mom. when she was 8 days old I put in a late hatcher as soon as it dried off. (I had two batches of eggs going at once) She mothered that baby by letting it go underneath her and she stayed right with it. Sooooo precious.
    I do have another rooster and his family next door to him and that rooster has crowed since he was 7 weeks old!! He is the one that I sent the picture of because he is such a good daddy.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by