Can these ducks recover?

Update:

Fed Ferny 15mL of pediasure by syringe. He seemed to like it. Tomorrow we’ll do a NutriDrench appetizer and follow up with more pediasure. Is 30mL a good target amount?

The tip of the tongue is a mess. I’ll post pics tomorrow. It makes sense that he would be reluctant to eat. He has passed up peas, mealworms, grain, and grain gruel.

3E18F8BE-CDDE-4101-8911-C3F4B0E1B52E.jpeg
FBC91133-0203-4835-9247-B157CF228F5D.jpeg
Mouth pics.

Oh Ferny :( Looks better though...he'll start to get the hang of things. Keep up the good work!

If he seems to be losing weight and not making much progress, you may need to go ahead and tube feed for a little while. There are several threads around the site that give directions on safely doing this. That way you're sure he's still getting a balanced diet. I read on a site while I was browsing for you that for Ducks and Chickens you should aim for 50ml twice a day, may want to confirm that with someone else though.

Hoping for the best here! :fl:hugs

Thanks. The tube comes soon. I guess I don’t understand how he will transition back to eating. Do we just keep offering peas and grain until one day, he goes for it?

Do you regularly feed pellets or crumbles? With my mixed flock, I feed an all flock pellet by Nutrena. I would keep his regular food close by, maybe watered down for now, and hopefully soon he will try on his own. Does he try to drink water on his own at all?

Oh my gosh. Poor thing. :( Foxes are terrible for our feathered friends. Sending love and well-wishes for your duck.

As a side note: cat food and a box trap helped us catch one of our predators:

View attachment 1905426
Trying to catch one now! You have giving me hope. My poor girls are not happy-no free range.The old roo Hawkie is happy as can be,he's got all the girls attention!

Back
Top Bottom