Can they go outside for a little bit?

5chicks4us

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
My chicks will be 3 weeks old on Wednesday. It's finally going to be warm outside today (85 degrees), but with southern winds at 17 mph. Could the chicks go outside for a little bit today in their portable run or are they still too young? The temp in their brooder right now is has been around 79 degrees for the past week. I guess the wind is what has me concerned. It was drilled into my head that drafts are bad.

What do you all think?

Sure, they'd be fine. Just keep an eye on their behavior. You could also block the wind a bit. They'd be a bit nervous at first (new enviroment), but I'm sure they'd love it.

I would. If you are concerned, put a little place for them to escape wind in their run, like a box on its side -- I'll bet they will ignore it and have a ball!

They're plenty old enough to enjoy some fresh air at 85 degrees. If the winds are blowing hard, then I'd put their pen in an area that blocks it for the most part - else they might get blown around like tiny tumbleweeds...
tongue.png

Oh yea. My silkie chicks were out with their mom like day 3, and it was 50 degrees out. Every now and then they would nap under mom. I would just make sure that the chicks of yours have access to shade if need be. And have a camera!

Back
Top Bottom