Can they hatch while in little containers?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Apriljc, May 29, 2012.

1. Apriljc

Apriljc Songster

Apr 14, 2011
    I have my eggs in little "beds" I made from egg cartons because the kids kept bumping the bator and making them roll around a bit. Can I leave them in these little beds when I lock down or do they need to be free on the wire floor? If I take them out, what should I put under them to protect the chicks from the wire mesh and to aid in clean up?

[​IMG]

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    That's clever! I think you can leave them but I would probably put the incubator in a super big box at lock down to minimize the children effect!!!! Hoping you have a great hatch!

3. MuscovyMad

MuscovyMad Chirping

Dec 2, 2010
    Yeah you could leave them in. I hatch all my eggs in rings cut out of toilet rolls to stop them getting booted about by the first hatched chicks.

Good luck with your hatch.

4. Apriljc

Apriljc Songster

Apr 14, 2011
    Thanks. I don't really want to stop the kids from being able to watch the hatch :) Its our preschool project.

i'll leave them in as is. It keeps the large end just a little higher and keeps them from rolling too much; just didn't know if it would interfere with the chicks getting the top of the eggs off.

5. baconskatiedid

baconskatiedid Chirping

May 3, 2012
    Crockett, Arkansas
    Good info for me here guys! Thanks. This is my first and wish I had put them in something. They are hatching and the unhatched eggs are getting bumped around by the new chicks. I also have 3 grandkids I am babysitting now school is out and they also want to "look" all the time. When these come out I have 20 more to go in and I am going to try the toliet paper rings. I will have plenty of them in a couple days(KIDS).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: