can they really lay this much so fast???

SOMEtimes the first egg is a double-yolk egg. Have you opened those eggs yet?

It takes a while for the "equipment" to get everything in order to do things regularly, including size, shell color, shape, etc.

Our "little girls" as I call them, came home at the end of February and start of March. One of the Cuckoo Marans has been squatting and talking for about a week and a half, and she laid an egg a day for the past three days. They are so little and cute! Probably about 1/4 the size of a normal egg.

Quote:
Cracked open the first egg last night....and sure enough! She gave me a double-yolker!
thumbsup.gif

Here is a picture of the 4 eggs she laid in 5 days....we got another one yesterday, so now we're up to 5 eggs in 6 days. You can see how large the first egg was in comparison to her others....

50335_2010-07-26_073143.jpg

and then last night i cracked open the large one, and here's what we got!

50335_2010-07-26_194802.jpg

I still can't believe that she was my first layer, and that she is laying so often! We thought for sure she wasn't going to make it as a chick! Poor baby spent a lot of time getting vitamins dropped in her beak and being stuffed down my shirt for comfort!
lol.png
She's such a good girl, and I'm hoping this is a sign that she is in good health. I had kind of thought she would always be a little behind the other girls. Guess all that extra lovin helped!

And here is Bernice; the pic is from a month ago- before her comb turned red. She is also my avatar (I try REALLY hard not to play favorites! But she makes it difficult!)

50335_100_1679.jpg

She is beautiful! We ended up with 2 really small eggs - then a really big egg - and the rest have been normal small sized. Waiting to crack them when we have an even dozen.
smile.png
Can you eat the double yoke ones?

Thanks! She's a hatchery faverolles, so her colors aren't completely true to standard, but I think she's gorgeous, and what a personality! Yep, you can eat the double yolk eggs. I used mine to bread some okra last night!
smile.png

I'm glad to see someone else had a big first egg. We were wondering if someone but it in the coop since we had an egg pool going on to see when the first egg would be layed. We are also waiting to have a dozen before starting to eat them. Should be today!! Makes you want to quit work and sit with them all day!!

Haven't cracked it open yet. Tomorrow morning will be the 1st breakfast from the girls.

59825_dsc_0531.jpg

The first egg is on the left and the second egg was 2 days later.

59825_july272010.jpg

Our first complete dozen!

59825_dsc_0532.jpg

We were finally able to tell who was laying what. The darker two eggs on the left are from our Golden Comet and the two lighter ones are from our Rhode Island Red.

Congratulations on your first dozen! We've gotten 7 now (just from miss Bernie) so, we're not quite there yet! Can't wait to hear if you have some double yolkers!

I got my first egg (actually found two - must have missed the first one the day before) last Monday and other than Wednesday last week we got an egg every day up through yesterday so 6 eggs in 7 days. My SCM is the one laying - and I think one of the EEs is very close - she is doing the egg squat when you pat her and making the same noises. Hoping tomorrow I have two eggs
smile.png

My problem is we are eating them as fast as they are getting laid so I need the other girls to pitch in or we will never have a full carton
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom