1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can they stop laying, and then start again after adding a heat lamp?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FlowerFarmer, Nov 22, 2011.

1. FlowerFarmer

FlowerFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2011
    After realizing our eggs were decreasing rapidly with this temperature change, we installed a heat lamp for our girls and have it on in their coop at night. This is their first winter, so I'm not sure what to expect as far as egg production. I've heard that they can stop laying this time of year, and that the lamp could help, but can it make them start laying more? Any thoughts about continuing production through the cold months? I live in the Pacific Northwest and it's already getting down to freezing? Do I have much hope of getting breakfast from my girls before springtime? THX

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    It really isn't the temperature change that stops the egg laying. Rather it is the decrease in light. Here in the PNW, you don't need the extra heat at all. If you don't want to wait until the light increases for eggs, you can put a regular light bulb on a timer to come on early in the a.m.

3. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    i would nix the heat lamp...........they dont need it and could be harmful to them should the power go out....they cant adjust to the sudden temp change and may die....
    they need 14 hours of light.....40 watt regular bulb will do the trick!........good luck!

4. Woodcox Acre

Woodcox Acre Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2011
    A Mt. Valley in Utah
    many people have good luck putting a light in the coop, my neighbor added one recently and is now getting eggs again [​IMG]

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It's the daylight, not the cold. They don't need the heat lamp. You could add a white light bulb, they only need enough light for you to read a newspaper.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I only provide 11-12 hours of light, supplemental and natural combined. They are in the dark from 5 pm until they are awakened at 5 am. I've had 90% lay days and a couple of 100% lay days this week. I mimic the areas closer to the equator where chickens get just about 12 hours of light, year round. They never see 14 hours in Hawaii, for example.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by