Can this hen be saved? (Fox attack) (pictures)

can you get a picture of the gash? I bet she can still make it! My hen was scalped down to her skull- literally feathers, skin, muscle all gone, her beak ligaments were no longer connected to anything so when she ate they just flicked around in the air- my bf thought she was a goner- but within two months she grew back her muscles, skin, and even her feathers. Your hen may surprise you, as long as you can keep her wounds clean she stands a very strong chance of recovery.

Sorry guys, she's gone. But I did not know that a hen could be that injured and still pretty much fully recover. It's a tough call because you don't want them to suffer, either. My husband took a good look at her after she was culled, and said it was worse than he had thought, she was torn up all over.

RIP Cookie. She is now joining her flockmates Puffy and Skittles, hopefully in chicken heaven somewhere where the fields are covered in good things to eat and there is never a predator...

Oh Man...sorry for your loss but she prob. could have been saved. I took care of one of my production girls last month who was absolutely amess after a coyote tried to eat her. I wish I had taken before pictures...she's back with the rest of the flock scratching away......maybe next time if there is a next time, your hubby will give them a chance.

Gone . . . but why? If she simply could not recover, and you did your best, then so be it.
sad.png

But if your husband decided that he knew best, and killed her (call it "culling", or whatever euphemism you want; it is what it is), then it sounds to me like a spirited and loved bird who had a fighting chance was denied the opportunity to fight back and recover. And in my home that would lead to some serious discussion.

And I am the husband here.

Not trying to sound judgmental - maybe I am being so, regardless, and maybe I don't know all the facts - but it would be a hard thing.

We have been fortunate. In 2 years with our 4 hens, we have had one near miss when they were free ranging in the yard and a bald eagle nearly got our RIR/BuffOrp cross. We saw a swoop, heard a squawk, and found a spray of pinfeathers on the yard. Thought we had lost her for sure, and it was a pretty sad afternoon. But an hour or so later, I looked out and saw 4 birds huddled under the truck - and she was 100% OK! Must have barely dodged the bullet. Later, I had to chuckle at what was surely a PO'd eagle who missed out on a chicken dinner.

We are more careful now.... Raccoons and an occasional fox are, I think, the main concerns around here.

She most likely could have been saved. Here is a photo of my hen who was severely injured (totally ripped apart). I never thought she would live but I wanted to give her a chance. So I cleaned her wound every day, applied neosporin, gave an oral antibiotic and she healed up perfectly. In fact, I still have her today (5 years later) and you would never be able to tell she was injured.

1058_dsc00028.jpg

Last edited:
Perhaps.

But remember, we did not see the bird up close and in person. Sounds like the man that did the deed was the only one that did.

I have seen birds who were moments from death "appear" to be fine enough...

Killing/ culling a bird is never a pleasure; I can't imagine it was for the OP's hubby.

smile.png

Chick Charm, the hen has already been put down. And to 7&8 I know it is never a fun thing to have to do but they didn't even give her a chance to try. That is what had us so upset!

It's their bird, they can do what they want to with it. It pisses me off when everybody wants to jump on somebody for something that they disagree with. If you buy the feed and take care of all the work, do what you want to with your birds.

Back
Top Bottom