Can this poop be normal?

rhotes

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 30, 2013
El Paso, TX
It looks yellow and foamy to me and has a very strong odor. I noticed the same thing a couple of months ago and wormed the flock, gave them all a round of tetracycline, then wormed again. Everybody seems normal, energetic, eating well, etc, but today this shows up again. Could this just be one of their watery poops (cecal, I think its called)?

Some people might say that's a normal cecal poop, but foamy poop like that do worry me if they do more than one. One of my avian vets said that foamy poop was a sign of a protozoal infection, but I have not read that anywhere, so I have know idea how true it is. FWIW, the feed store I go to had six chicks pooping something that looked exactly like this:

Three of the six died, so I asked for their bodies and sent them to UC Davis for necropsies and the necropsy report stated all three died from severe coccidiosis, so clearly this was not normal, yet "the poo page" says it is. Go figure...

Maybe keep an eye on them? Maybe treat with Corid?

Well, crap. That's kind of what I thought. I haven't had them tested, but I thought coccidiosis was the culprit last time. They responded well and I figured that was that. I dang sure don't want to go through another round of antibiotics. But, if it gets worse or continues, I surely will. Is Cordid something I can order online? My local feedstore doesn't carry it (hence, the tetracycline last time).

Well, crap. That's kind of what I thought. I haven't had them tested, but I thought coccidiosis was the culprit last time. They responded well and I figured that was that. I dang sure don't want to go through another round of antibiotics. But, if it gets worse or continues, I surely will. Is Cordid something I can order online? My local feedstore doesn't carry it (hence, the tetracycline last time).
Yes, you can order Corid.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom