Can toxic algae in a lake cause a swan to become lame?

Kalsti

Songster
6 Years
Jul 31, 2013
Hi it's me again!
Well now we have a beautiful swan that is sitting by the side of the lake for hours, defecating right where she is lying, and when she goes back into the water she scoots on her abdomen. (I have never seen her walk, but she is said to be old.) She IS swimming fine, and eating when people feed her. I am worried that she is literally a "sitting duck" as she is not able to walk apparently. Today I read an article about how some algae can kill dogs. Does anyone know if that could be the problem with her? I have talked with a Vet and she is planning on coming to the lake to do an evaluation of the swan....Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

Hi it's me again!
Well now we have a beautiful swan that is sitting by the side of the lake for hours, defecating right where she is lying, and when she goes back into the water she scoots on her abdomen. (I have never seen her walk, but she is said to be old.) She IS swimming fine, and eating when people feed her. I am worried that she is literally a "sitting duck" as she is not able to walk apparently. Today I read an article about how some algae can kill dogs. Does anyone know if that could be the problem with her? I have talked with a Vet and she is planning on coming to the lake to do an evaluation of the swan....Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!
I have no idea but sounds like she could have eaten something. I hope the vet can find out and she can be treated. Please let us know.

Thanks so much all! The lake head worker said he has never seen her walk either....she had been there for many years. Hmmm.

I've never seen her walk in the 5 months that I've been here....but the head workers says he has never seen her walking. It is really something-- she crawls on her stomach into the water but is only about 1-2 feet from the side of the lake....Then she swims, beautifully. Weird.

I've never seen her walk in the 5 months that I've been here....but the head workers says he has never seen her walking. It is really something-- she crawls on her stomach into the water but is only about 1-2 feet from the side of the lake....Then she swims, beautifully. Weird.
Amazing isn't it. not being able to walk you'd think she'd be easy prey fro a predator. What part of the USA are you In?
Do you know how long she has been there? Ducklings goslings can be niacin deficient when very young and wonder if this could have been the case with this swan. it cause them to have leg problems where they can become lame also neurological problems too. Is she the only swan or does she have a mate?

Last edited:
She has been here for many years....her mate was killed a few years ago by someone with a bow and arrow....Hard to believe. Anyway, we have a Vet who will evaluate her for small fee......Hope we can help her. We have our second real meeting tomorrow.....

I think that there should be a few people who could feed the swan, geese and ducks there. People in the committee could ask everyone to put in a small amount to purchase Waterfowl feed and help keep the ducks, geese and swan in better health.
If you are going to have them on a pond or lake I feel there is a responsibility of the people around the pond or lake to help keep healthy waterfowl!!! Bread is not a food source just junk and does not do anything for helping them eat. They need a good staple diet for the winter time....

She has been here for many years....her mate was killed a few years ago by someone with a bow and arrow....Hard to believe. Anyway, we have a Vet who will evaluate her for small fee......Hope we can help her. We have our second real meeting tomorrow.....

How sad there are such cruel people in the world. You all are trying to do a wonderful thing for these animals.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom