Can turkeys live in the same run as chickens? what kind boy/girl pics

I had midget whites ( a pair from day olds) when they got bigger-they beat up and bloodied my chickens bad! I gave them away to a friend:( I wasn't meant to have turkeys-just more chickens!

Last edited:
I personally would build a separate pen and get her a friend. If she is a BB then it will be easier to limit her food intake if she is separate from the chickens. My turkeys and chickens free range together but I do not keep them in the same coop, less problems that way... less chance of diseases being passed, less chance of turkey picking on chickens, chickens get to eat in peace.
big_smile.png

Mine live together just fine. My turkey tom really acts like a watch dog for the flock. The only problem I've had with him is that he absolutely HATES my new Buckeye rooster. I bought a trio of Buckeyes and he does not like my male, so I have to keep them separate and I free range them at alternate times.

Here's a pic.....Chickens and turkeys together...

23665_turkeyschickens1.jpg

i put her with mine for now because i wasnt expecting to get her
and didnt have seperate housing set up
she seems ok with them, a bit of pecking order right now
but shes sooooo huge
i think the pecking is going on because i was told they were free range and her and the 6 chickens attacked the feed when they got here
poor things may not have been being fed properly
can they get protective over food like our dogs can?
im assuming so from what i have seen with these guys
your turkey is beautiful by the way

Oh thank you! My husband doesn't like my turkey tom. He says he will turn mean. I just love him. He follows me around, displaying and making this "thumping" noise with his throat. If strangers come around, he will gobble up a storm. Not sure if you can see in the pic, my female turkey just behind him. She's a Blue Slate. She's really funny--lays eggs in the nesting boxes just like the chickens. My husband makes everything BIG. Lucky for her I've got big nesting boxes! haha

Back
Top Bottom